`So you're saying we should buff IB`

A place for discussion about Nexus Clash game mechanics, including Build Advice.
Jelly_m00n

Re: `So you're saying we should buff IB`

Post by Jelly_m00n »

I think we should have a respawn near stronghold button for everyone. The higher level you are the more it will cost (like 30+ AP is not unreasonable). This can be a lot more expensive than the current respawn we have now. This would help new players, Angels who have been irritable they don't have a way to get called and neutrals not having to spawn in Purg.

I also don't think that we should make gems be the goal for all spell users as this will favor the big factions. Currently it is pretty even with people being able to learn spells but if it is a small faction without someone who can pattern weave gems plus having a huge gem stocked pile this become a far less even game for those small factions.

I also agree on the DOs not really haveing ES in their territory really makes it difficult for a DO to maintain their territory. Before Pirates got a Wizard 99% of my day as patroling and dumping what infuse I could. It is very difficult to maintain a territory when you have people fighting you (as the south is seeing right now with TNC). It becomes increasingly harder not being able to see a hidden person without dumping 5ap per tile to find someone. Combine that with the fact pms and myrm classes can't easily sweep territories either this throws the infuson game completely out of wack.
BLORTH

Post by BLORTH »

A lot of the new player experience now is tied to your faction, and getting killed as a Mortal strands you (potentially) on the other side of Cordillera where it'll take your whole AP cycle to get back to your stronghold. We wanted to add a thing (and did in the past) where Mortals always respawn close to their stronghold, but unfortunately veteran players figured out that they could team up a Lich with a few deathfarmers and use this mechanic to get hundreds of ghouls in a very short time with near-zero effort.
Quickway? Teleporters? What?

I'm still going to farm the mortals/death farmers that are tied to SHs because I'll just turn them into imps ever since the extraneous Wicked Exhilaration nerf. It's honestly an asinine change because no "new player" in the context you're trying to describe is death farming. They likely want to keep a "positive K/D". The whole point of spawning them near the SH is because you expect them to go back inside the SH.

Why would you do the +1 AP for every 4 ticks spent outside on the same patch you're going to try and tell new players to hide inside their SH? Death has been rewarding ever since the XP for respawning was added. I don't understand.

Please, make it make sense.
- Your Adorable Puppy has been destroyed! It has been removed from your inventory.
- Lychwood gave you an An even cuter puppy, a Stygian Bone Leech.
Nova

Post by Nova »

BLORTH wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:19 am
A lot of the new player experience now is tied to your faction, and getting killed as a Mortal strands you (potentially) on the other side of Cordillera where it'll take your whole AP cycle to get back to your stronghold. We wanted to add a thing (and did in the past) where Mortals always respawn close to their stronghold, but unfortunately veteran players figured out that they could team up a Lich with a few deathfarmers and use this mechanic to get hundreds of ghouls in a very short time with near-zero effort.

I'm still going to farm the mortals/death farmers that are tied to SHs because I'll just turn them into imps ever since the extraneous Wicked Exhilaration nerf. It's honestly an asinine change because no "new player" in the context you're trying to describe is death farming. They likely want to keep a "positive K/D". The whole point of spawning them near the SH is because you expect them to go back inside the SH.

Why would you do the +1 AP for every 4 ticks spent outside on the same patch you're going to try and tell new players to hide inside their SH? Death has been rewarding ever since the XP for respawning was added. I don't understand.

Kandarin wasn't saying that new players are death farming for liches, they're saying that the same mechanics that allow new players to spawn near their stronghold to get back to it quicker allow older players with new characters to death farm with liches for huge ghoul balls.

The outside AP is a separate mechanic meant to encourage people not to hole up in their strongholds so much. This applies to everyone, not just new players. For them, sleeping in a stronghold might be a better idea as faster AP regen demands you be more active to actually spend the extra AP you get.
Nayru

Post by Nayru »

Nova wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:35 am Regarding spell costs, the idea was to make casting spells from memory less/not worth it but charging gems worth it, such that spells would be a sort of "mid point" between weapons and innates. The goal was for it to be a thing you'd prep in advance instead of just running in and killing 5 dudes off a full MP bar with no prep besides letting regen happen.
the point of dropping spells from 3-8 mp to 1-4 mp was to change the prior aspect of 'if i'm not cheating the system (spellwander/manabite) i maybe can kill one person without spending an extreme prior quantity of resources to do so' as most people figured out that not-far off performance for 1 ap 0 mp beat somewhat better performance for 4 ap 15 mp

it's not really spells' fault most of the physicals around them got tanked in efficacy due to X attacks being boring or something and being stripped off many physicals that relied on the +damage - the costs involved got dropped sure but the raw resource cost for direct spell attacks to be viable is too low to negotiate the prior (bad) '1 mp paradigm' (and i've brought up numerous better systems for it in the past) so it is disconcerting that first chance it gets it lurches back towards 'basically unusable inherently'
- You say, "Oh my me." (2022-01-30 03:41:07).
Kandarin

Post by Kandarin »

Nova wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:30 am
BLORTH wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:19 am

Kandarin wasn't saying that new players are death farming for liches, they're saying that the same mechanics that allow new players to spawn near their stronghold to get back to it quicker allow older players with new characters to death farm with liches for huge ghoul balls.

The outside AP is a separate mechanic meant to encourage people not to hole up in their strongholds so much. This applies to everyone, not just new players. For them, sleeping in a stronghold might be a better idea as faster AP regen demands you be more active to actually spend the extra AP you get.
This. Any Mortal mechanic designed to benefit new players has to deal with the fact that most Mortal character creation is done by veteran players. Spawning near strongholds worked poorly as a game improvement if ghouling of Mortals was allowed to stand with its unintended consequences.

The Quickway and portals are great and Cordillera is an excellent, highly navigable map. However it's not always intrinsically obvious in one's first few days of play and that's when one is going to quit because the game is confusing.
Katerina Hasheen - Necromancer Advocate, champion of a better Hashaa
Serena Hasheen - Gun ES, Macro Hunter, Freedom Array booster
Isabel Hasheen - Gunwizard Councillor, infusion's #1 fan
Kandarin - Lightning Elementalist, Crusader, fontnet architect
Erduhr-Khazai - Fire-breathing Dragon DO, Evil Overlord, pillager of planes