A new and improved Character Builder

For general discussion about the game that doesn't really delve into Mechanics (see the "Mechanics Discussion" section). In Out-of-Character discussion, you are expected to be courteous to others.
Leila

Re: A new and improved Character Builder

Post by Leila »

This is fabulous; thank you so much for creating this! Wonderfully useful and well-designed.
"They could do nothing individually. So they went mad, en masse."
NearNihil

Post by NearNihil »

Builds can now be exported and imported as a "standard" build format, which means it's human-readable. You can mess it up manually if you want but then importing won't work.
Don't like someone but can't be bothered to do the dirty work yourself? Hire RED!
Want something but can't be bothered making it yourself? Buy from PIMCO!
NearNihil

Post by NearNihil »

There have been some mostly-boring under-the-hood updates, but I've now made it so it can read the wiki page for badges to get the total number of badges. SoonTM: When importing a character, set the number properly and maybe a list of all badges in a nice list someplace.
Don't like someone but can't be bothered to do the dirty work yourself? Hire RED!
NearNihil

Post by NearNihil »

I am aware that the thing is broken at the moment. It's due to one of the APIs being borked since the latest patch. I've submitted a bug report and I have an idea of how to avoid total breakage in future, but I'll need the data from the currently broken thing first.

EDIT: The API fix is pending release, as soon as it's live I'll make sure the character builder works again!
NearNihil

Post by NearNihil »

Eagerly awaiting the fix, I've made the thing more resilient to the API being unavailable for whatever reason. It'll say the Spells part is unavailable until the fix rolls out at which point it should repair and be usable as per usual. Until then, I'm sorry casters - you'll have to pretend your spells are there.
NearNihil

Post by NearNihil »

Two noteworthy developments:
1) I'm in a dev now, so the idea is to port it from heroku over to the NC servers. SoonTM.
2) The Spells API isn't showing all the available spells and they seem to be disappearing over time - I noticed it myself when importing a spellcaster and apparently it had 25 CP free (which I don't do). At least Sharp Vision, Thunder Bolt and Shocking Dart are (temporarily) gone. A bug report is filed, but I'm not familiar with the API on the NC's side yet so I wouldn't know how to fix it myself. Also SoonTM.
technobaby

Post by technobaby »

NearNihil wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:39 pm The Spells API isn't showing all the available spells and they seem to be disappearing over time - I noticed it myself when importing a spellcaster and apparently it had 25 CP free (which I don't do). At least Sharp Vision, Thunder Bolt and Shocking Dart are (temporarily) gone. A bug report is filed, but I'm not familiar with the API on the NC's side yet so I wouldn't know how to fix it myself. Also SoonTM.
Just a heads up that Gravefingers is also missing. But holy wow this tool is so great :D Thank you!
Weirdomen

Post by Weirdomen »

Congratulations on being dev!! Absolutely fitting!
NearNihil

Post by NearNihil »

With some help from Kandarin I tracked the bug down and it should be fixed for the time being. I suppose I should try and get the thing moved over to the official servers now shouldn't I...
NearNihil

Post by NearNihil »

I said I'd get the thing moved over but haven't. Now Heroku pulled the plug like they said they'd do. I'll see if I have some time to fix it tonight or in the weekend.