Spell parry does not work against autohit spells

Forum where closed and resolved bug reports live
sekki

Spell parry does not work against autohit spells

Post by sekki »

Anecdotally and unfortunately this is too far in the past to paste, but a NC attacked Axura with Hewing bolt ~10 times also and the spell was never parried and was missing the parry text.

Normal:

Cerce attacked you with a Quillfire spell and hit for 8 points of piercing damage. 3 points of this reduction were due to the fortifications here. You attempted to nullify the incoming spell, but were unable to discern how to disrupt the arcane energies. (2022-05-29 16:13:23).

Missing spell parry text (and spell parry never triggered against this character):

Simon Iscariot attacked you with a Pallid Bolt spell and hit for 16 points of death damage. The attack weakened the barriers between the living world and the void! 2 points of this reduction were due to the fortifications here. (2022-05-29 16:15:59).

Moishe from Accounting attacked you with an Arctic Bolt spell and hit for 3 points of cold damage. This attack also negated your Divine Protection status effect and replaced it with the Drained status effect for 10 status ticks. The attack left a lingering chill! (2022-05-25 22:13:57).

Seen on clash.php?op=character&id=13186
Last edited by sekki on Tue May 31, 2022 7:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kandarin
Site Admin

Re: Spell parry may not be working against some classes?

Post by Kandarin »

Looking at your logs, the most likely explanation I see is that Spell Parry consumes 1 MP both for successful attempts and failed attempts. Shortly before the raid, you used a lot of MP on Mystic Vigor (unlucky) and then Cerce chewed through your MP with previous spells that you parried. It's likely that you were out of MP at the time and therefore would not have had a chance to even attempt to parry the spells.
Katerina Hasheen - Necromancer Advocate, champion of a better Hashaa
Serena Hasheen - Gun ES, Macro Hunter, Freedom Array booster
Isabel Hasheen - Gunwizard Councillor, infusion's #1 fan
Kandarin - Lightning Elementalist, Crusader, fontnet architect
Erduhr-Khazai - Fire-breathing Dragon DO, Evil Overlord, pillager of planes
sekki

Re: Spell parry may not be working against some classes?

Post by sekki »

Hmm. But cerce attacked me before the tick and Simon attacked me after the tick so even if I were at 0 I should have had mp by then?

I specifically MV’d to ~30mp (as we were planning for some fun :p). I cast 54mp of spells ~1hr later with only a transcend blessing and no other mp recovery afaict. (And anecdotally I had more than 30mp when respawning so I must have had mp when simon was attacking me/I died).

Per the wiki spell parry only cost mp when it works? Or at least when it fails it doesn’t tell me it charges 1mp like the successful parry does.

Successful parry:

Cerce attacked you with a Quillfire spell and hit for 0 points of piercing damage. 3 points of this reduction were due to the fortifications here. Your familiarity spells allowed you to reflexively nullify the arcane energies. You spent 1 Magic Point. (2022-05-29 16:13:37).
sekki

Re: Spell parry may not be working against some spells*?

Post by sekki »

I had previously hypothesized that spell turning wasn’t working against certain classes. But upon re-reading my logs it may actually be specific spells.

It seems like all the bolt spells are missing the spell turning text.

Can reproduce (with mp and no mp was charged):
Yagisan attacked you with a Thunder Bolt spell and hit for 1 points of electric damage. He was hiding! The attack inflicted a lingering feeling of shock! 10 points of this reduction were due to the fortifications here. (2022-05-30 11:49:33).
sekki

Post by sekki »

More science later can confirm that bolt spells don’t respect spell parry laws as written:

Axura knows arctic bolt but was hit by an unmodified version of it (which should always be parried).

- a floating terror attacked you with an Arctic Bolt spell and hit for 1 points of cold damage. 10 points of this reduction were due to the fortifications here. (2022-05-31 01:59:52).
sekki

Post by sekki »

Even more science later and can confirm this is an autohit spell problem as it also applies to dart spells

- Yagisan attacked you with a Fire Dart spell and hit for 1 points of fire damage. 10 points of this reduction were due to the fortifications here. (2022-05-31 03:10:04).

As posted earlier parry works against t3 ranged. Also confirmed it works against t2 touch:

- Yagisan attacked you with a Burning Touch spell and hit for 0 points of fire damage. 10 points of this reduction were due to the fortifications here. Your familiarity spells allowed you to reflexively nullify the arcane energies. You spent 1 Magic Point. (2022-05-31 03:11:08).
BobGeneric
Site Admin

Re: Spell parry does not work against autohit spells

Post by BobGeneric »

Bug confirmed as "Spell Parry does not work vs autohit spells" - this has been corrected for the next patch.