Gameplay: Pet Emotes On Game Tick

Past suggestions that have been incorporated into the live game.
SignedName

Gameplay: Pet Emotes On Game Tick

Post by SignedName »

A simple way to decrease pet emote spam. Make the emotes only have a chance to proc every 15 minutes instead of every 10 seconds. For people who want to see some flavor but don't want their entire message log clogged with messages like these:
- Dead-Tired Reviewer (a Skeleton) opened its mouth, as if attempting to speak, but no words came out. (2021-12-31 17:15:21).
- (2 times) Dead-Tired Reviewer (a Skeleton) made a creepy sound by grinding its finger bones together. (2021-12-31 17:29:01).
- Dead-Tired Reviewer (a Skeleton) made a creepy sound by grinding its finger bones together. (2021-12-31 17:37:22).
- Dead-Tired Reviewer (a Skeleton) opened its mouth, as if attempting to speak, but no words came out. (2021-12-31 17:40:41).
- Paper-Championing Reviewer (a Skeleton) opened its mouth, as if attempting to speak, but no words came out. (2021-12-31 17:43:22).
- (2 times) Dead-Tired Reviewer (a Skeleton) made a creepy sound by grinding its finger bones together. (2021-12-31 17:58:21).
- Paper-Championing Reviewer (a Skeleton) scuffed its boney feet on the ground. (2021-12-31 18:00:41).
- Dead-Tired Reviewer (a Skeleton) walked into a wall, causing its bones to shake. (2021-12-31 18:07:51).
- Dead-Tired Reviewer (a Skeleton) chattered its teeth, perhaps laughing. (2021-12-31 18:10:22).
- Dead-Tired Reviewer (a Skeleton) scuffed its boney feet on the ground. (2021-12-31 18:12:32).
Additionally, for pet hordes, only one roll per pet type, to prevent excessive spam from petwalls (the above example was only two Skeletons but was already spammy enough).
Huojin

Re: Gameplay: Pet Emotes On Game Tick

Post by Huojin »

+1, firmly agree. It's a great little bit of flavour but it's far too frequent.
cat

Gameplay: Tuning pet emotes

Post by cat »

- Option to decrease the repetition of pet emotes and/or or switch them off completely. This could be tuned by pet type.
- Ability to set a few default emotes by pet type, similar to how PMs can make lists of custom pet names. Not only would this would be a great way to avoiding the repetition of pet emotes, it's be a fun way to give flavour to pets. For example Morgue's undead cats would make appropriate undead cat sounds and actions as opposed to zombie human sounds. This could be paid for with credits (I know I would be happy to spend credits to do this.)
- Overall players would have the choice to stick with the defaults, switch them off or make their own.

Related: I currently have my characters set to not log emotes when logged out but this doesn't seem to be working.
Fellis
Site Admin

Post by Fellis »

SignedName wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:30 pm A simple way to decrease pet emote spam. Make the emotes only have a chance to proc every 15 minutes instead of every 10 seconds.
Additionally, for pet hordes, only one roll per pet type, to prevent excessive spam from petwalls (the above example was only two Skeletons but was already spammy enough).
Huojin wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:53 pm +1, firmly agree. It's a great little bit of flavour but it's far too frequent.
Just for reference do you have the “log pet messages” option enabled or disabled? Now, and when you were getting too much spam?

I agree with the change, but I think there’s a bug with the option/mechanic causing the amount of spam
Fellis
Site Admin

Re: Gameplay: Tuning pet emotes

Post by Fellis »

See also this post i merged just now for bugginess possibility. If these were gameplay mechanics, definitely separate threads, but flavor is one mechanic imo.
cat wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:25 pm - Option to decrease the repetition of pet emotes and/or or switch them off completely. This could be tuned by pet type.
- Ability to set a few default emotes by pet type, similar to how PMs can make lists of custom pet names. Not only would this would be a great way to avoiding the repetition of pet emotes, it's be a fun way to give flavour to pets. For example Morgue's undead cats would make appropriate undead cat sounds and actions as opposed to zombie human sounds. This could be paid for with credits (I know I would be happy to spend credits to do this.)
- Overall players would have the choice to stick with the defaults, switch them off or make their own.

Related: I currently have my characters set to not log emotes when logged out but this doesn't seem to be working.
Huojin

Post by Huojin »

Fellis wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:51 pm
SignedName wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:30 pm A simple way to decrease pet emote spam. Make the emotes only have a chance to proc every 15 minutes instead of every 10 seconds.
Huojin wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:53 pm +1, firmly agree. It's a great little bit of flavour but it's far too frequent.
Just for reference do you have the “log pet messages” option enabled or disabled? Now, and when you were getting too much spam?

I agree with the change, but I think there’s a bug with the option/mechanic causing the amount of spam
I've left it unticked at all times - should I have it ticked?
Fellis
Site Admin

Post by Fellis »

ticking it should log the messages, you shouldn't log them without it ticked so yeah sounds like a bug if you are getting them. However I do agree there should be a more limited logging option or they shouldn't roll as much, need to look at the code and see what the EV of idle interactions per like unit of 20 pets is.

Like 0.6% chance every pet tick seems right so in 15 minutes you'd expect 1 message per 20 pets?
Kandarin

Post by Kandarin »

There's a pending change that should significantly reduce the chance of pet chatter to acceptable levels.
Katerina Hasheen - Necromancer Advocate, champion of a better Hashaa
Serena Hasheen - Gun ES, Macro Hunter, Freedom Array booster
Isabel Hasheen - Gunwizard Councillor, infusion's #1 fan
Kandarin - Lightning Elementalist, Crusader, fontnet architect
Erduhr-Khazai - Fire-breathing Dragon DO, Evil Overlord, pillager of planes