Gameplay: Pity Rolls

Suggestions the development team sees as having value for future content.
SignedName

Gameplay: Pity Rolls

Post by SignedName »

On the Discord server, there have been plenty of examples of extremely bad luck when searching/hiding, and I'm sure most players have faced this before- an issue with having a pure RNG. To alleviate this, I propose a "Pity Rolls" system that gradually increases success chances until you roll successfully, in which case it resets. Adding an additional 5% chance to hide or search after every consecutive failed attempt, at a certain point you'll be guaranteed to get a success.
Kandarin

Re: Gameplay: Pity Rolls

Post by Kandarin »

+1 for Search, but on Hide this would have a drastic impact on hunting.
Katerina Hasheen - Necromancer Advocate, champion of a better Hashaa
Serena Hasheen - Gun ES, Macro Hunter, Freedom Array booster
Isabel Hasheen - Gunwizard Councillor, infusion's #1 fan
Kandarin - Lightning Elementalist, Crusader, fontnet architect
Erduhr-Khazai - Fire-breathing Dragon DO, Evil Overlord, pillager of planes
Nayru

Post by Nayru »

deja vu

i don't find it as much as an issue for hide since there's a ton of chars that get killed after blowing 12 ap failing to hide even with 1/2 or even 2/2 (if not a dozen ap at that point) hide on a typical tile

the cost to hide on a weird tile like outside a building would still be pretty severe with regular hide actions and you'd get punted by es all the same like you are now (and it's not super hard to do with +30 hide anyway, just sometimes rng screws you 2-digit times which was the point of incremental search/hide buff suggestion of mine in first place)
- You say, "Oh my me." (2022-01-30 03:41:07).
Fellis
Site Admin

Post by Fellis »

I don't think it's that much of a problem for hide either, especially as searching for characters would also get easier. However one way to limit it, if it was found to be a problem, would be attaching it to the hide skill.
SaltedSalmon

Post by SaltedSalmon »

Fellis wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:36 am I don't think it's that much of a problem for hide either, especially as searching for characters would also get easier. However one way to limit it, if it was found to be a problem, would be attaching it to the hide skill.
People wil a hide skill already get pretty high hide rolls, so that would miss the point a bit.
Then again, people are still regularly failing 50% rolls 10 times in a row, so maybe it would not.
Nayru

Post by Nayru »

Fellis wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:36 am I don't think it's that much of a problem for hide either, especially as searching for characters would also get easier. However one way to limit it, if it was found to be a problem, would be attaching it to the hide skill.
i'd actually segregate these if i coded it since it'd be screwy if search (item) rng majorly upped your search (player) rng

especially if i make hidesearching go off tile base hide rather than base search

but then i'd like to see +search in general on hunters and others so there's that
SaltedSalmon wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:57 am People wil a hide skill already get pretty high hide rolls, so that would miss the point a bit.
Then again, people are still regularly failing 50% rolls 10 times in a row, so maybe it would not.
you are sort of punting yourself with your own post here but yes that is the idea

later edit: ergh 50% forest i created you how dare you do this to me

- You search and find a Piece of Wood. (2021-12-31 09:41:02).
- (10 times) You search and find nothing. (2021-12-31 09:41:25).
- You search and find a Sprig of Holly. (2021-12-31 09:41:27).
- You say, "Oh my me." (2022-01-30 03:41:07).