Interface: Non-binary preference

Suggestions the development team sees as having value for future content.
Umbral Reaver

Interface: Non-binary preference

Post by Umbral Reaver »

Add a new option under gender preference: non-binary.

Thanks.
SignedName

Re: Interface: Non-binary preference

Post by SignedName »

+1. A non-gendered preference ("it") would be great for non-human characters as well.
Badziew

Post by Badziew »

I think this was discussed before and dev answer was something along "sounds nice but it would be hard to implement due to how the code is structured".

Anyway, if this was ever tackled, I would like to see both singular "it" and plural "they" on list of options - some people might want to play a character that is named or described as actually being a group of creatures, for example I have personally met in the past "a critical mass of fat guys" and "a pair of wandering Mormons" and I think I have seen "those penguins" once.
My characters (sorted by IDs): Badziew, Tiger Fist, Pilgrim, Sentient Spellbook, a trojan cat.

Check my wiki profile for more information, including contact information.
Goliath

Post by Goliath »

My non-human character would appreciate
A Parrot with a Blade - Melee/Touchcaster Holy Champion || GrayScimitar - Heavy Sword Tlac IB || RustyWire - Gunwiz
Fellis
Site Admin

Post by Fellis »

There was a discussion on discord about this (don't know if thread was first or second), but this is extremely important for me to implement sometime. We have a large population of LGBTQIA+ players and I think it's critical to allow people to create the identity they want to inhabit in-game.

Unfortunately pronouns are hard-coded in the game right now in a way that's difficult to disentangle (some of this code dates back to 2009-2010), so it is a bit of a challenge and we have higher priorities at the moment like making sure there is a solid game for people to create identities in. I also want to make sure that we implement a system that's better rather than just slapping a quick fix in.

I envision aspects (the body that you respawn in) being separated from pronouns (how your character identifies). This would allow characters to pick from any combination of male, female, non-binary, or custom/credit store aspects that they prefer to respawn in, and also pick he/she/they/it/[aspect] identifiers (with it being intended for non-human). I prefer this approach because it would be the most flexible in allowing characters to identify how they wish and be addressed properly, and preserve lore of how you respawn into a random body (if the player desires that for the character)

I have no idea how much of a challenge this would be to code, that is not my forte, but I think it's a system that would allow expansion as needed and be a good fit for however people want their character to exist.

Promoted