Way of Earth gives soak

Past suggestions that have been incorporated into the live game.
sohdbrimks

Way of Earth gives soak

Post by sohdbrimks »

I complained a lot in discord so might as well make it an official suggestion.

Just revert Way of Earth to the way it was before, current version sucks and saying "it gets better with armor/enchants/pots" is still bad. The Eternal Soldier is supposed to be the beginner/casual/easy-to-play/fire-and-forget class, making it dependant on mundane armor or pots goes against the concept of the class. Every other class in the game has a normal innate armor, I don't know why you guys decided to make the ES have this convoluted mess for an armor.

Plz change it back, thanks.
cat

Re: Way of Earth gives soak

Post by cat »

+1 for soaks returned.
When I took the skill on Lazy it had soaks listed on the wiki page so that was an unfun discovery. Brainless ES for life!
Nayru

Post by Nayru »

it's beyond my capability to fix this given the resists are hardcoded and the armor item that has the soaks is no longer given to people, else i probably would've (i could hardcode the soaks but i do not want to do that at this juncture in time)

that said, i'm wary of how good a phys-biased armor is in this new physical damage era, particularly on a potentially 47 def class with a 9 --> 11 strength aura that still has all its high-end offensive capabilities (possibly even greater now)

so i don't reaaaaaaaally support it either, given es prior design was 'if we overstat a class this hard for tanking it can tank without an aura' spoiler: it didn't work, and that devgroup didn't understand tank mechanics

i presume that it wound up like this due to gaining the aura and the notion that resist was going to be factored before soak at some point/block spell affinities which would've made it possibly more powerful than just inherent soak, but ye

not that bad anyway looking back at logs hum

if this es didn't have 0 def this'd've been hell (failed to kill them due to just the base 5 aura)

Code: Select all

- You attack SeanBR with your Cutlass and hit for 5 points of slashing damage. You started a combination attack! His armor soaked 2 points of damage. They reflexively lashed out with a kick! You take 5 points of impact damage! You gain 6 XP. (2022-01-14 20:34:17).
- You attack SeanBR with your Cutlass and hit for 7 points of slashing damage. You dealt 3 more damage from a combination attack! His armor soaked 3 points of damage. They reflexively lashed out with a kick! You take 5 points of impact damage! You gain 9 XP. (2022-01-14 20:34:24).
- (2 times) You attack SeanBR with your Cutlass and miss. They reflexively lashed out with a kick! You take 5 points of impact damage! (2022-01-14 20:34:27).
- You attack SeanBR with your Cutlass and hit for 5 points of slashing damage. You started a combination attack! His armor soaked 2 points of damage. They reflexively lashed out with a kick! You take 5 points of impact damage! You gain 6 XP. (2022-01-14 20:34:28).
- You attack SeanBR with your Cutlass and hit for 7 points of slashing damage. You dealt 3 more damage from a combination attack! His armor soaked 3 points of damage. They reflexively lashed out with a kick! You take 5 points of impact damage! You gain 9 XP. (2022-01-14 20:34:31).
- You attack SeanBR with your Cutlass and hit for 9 points of slashing damage. You dealt 6 more damage from a combination attack! His armor soaked 4 points of damage. They reflexively lashed out with a kick! You take 5 points of impact damage! You gain 11 XP. (2022-01-14 20:34:32).
- You attack SeanBR with your Cutlass and hit for 12 points of slashing damage. You dealt 9 more damage from a combination attack! His armor soaked 4 points of damage. They reflexively lashed out with a kick! You take 5 points of impact damage! You gain 15 XP. (2022-01-14 20:34:34).
- You attack SeanBR with your Cutlass and hit for 5 points of slashing damage. You started a combination attack! His armor soaked 2 points of damage. They reflexively lashed out with a kick! You take 5 points of impact damage! You gain 6 XP. (2022-01-14 20:34:36).
- (2 times) You attack SeanBR with your Cutlass and miss. They reflexively lashed out with a kick! You take 5 points of impact damage! (2022-01-14 20:34:43). 
- You say, "Oh my me." (2022-01-30 03:41:07).
Warharan

Post by Warharan »

Nayru wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:46 am <snip>
particularly on a potentially 47 def class
<snip>
What??? :shock: 47 defense? How?
I mean; I see the dodge-evasion-advanced dodge / way of water / master ot reflex combining very well.
But this all added together is 'only' 30 defense.

What am I missing?

I might reset my ES and ditch the (pretty 'meh' imo) Way of Earth if I know how. :D
Note that my avatar is merely the coat of arms of the city where I live.
But feel free to add additional meaning to that.
SaltedSalmon

Post by SaltedSalmon »

Enchanted Armor of Evasion gives +12% defense, Myrmidon's super reflexes gives +5% defense.
So that's 47% total.

Anyways, I wanted to segway into a more on-topic discussion after this post, but I think everyone agrees current Way of Earth is bad.
Warharan

Post by Warharan »

SaltedSalmon wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:46 am Enchanted Armor of Evasion gives +12% defense, Myrmidon's super reflexes gives +5% defense.
So that's 47% total.

Anyways, I wanted to segway into a more on-topic discussion after this post, but I think everyone agrees current Way of Earth is bad.
Did not even know you could dodge enchant! Thanks.

Oh. And I agree that (current) WoE is pretty poor value for the CP spent.
Nayru

Post by Nayru »

there's very little high resist in the game so i might take a crack at seeing if i can do resist first and see how that pans out

believe the intention was that the es would become even more potent with armor with this skill, so..

(i.e. for example - the following vs a dangerous 20 pierce gun attacker)

prior es with woe: 5 phys soak - 15 damage
prior es with a pristine ME armor: 7 phys soak - 13 damage
curr es with woe resist: 25% phys resist - 15 damage
curr es with a pristine ME armor and woe resist before soak: 25% phys resist, 7 phys soak - 8 damage
Warharan

Post by Warharan »

Nayru wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:31 pm

prior es with woe: 5 phys soak - 15 damage
prior es with a pristine ME armor: 7 phys soak - 13 damage
curr es with woe resist: 25% phys resist - 15 damage
curr es with a pristine ME armor and woe resist before soak: 25% phys resist, 7 phys soak - 8 damage
I do see what you mean but...

Would it not be a lot easier/simpler if WoE would not stack with any sort of armour* and resist 50% for example?
Easy being the 'niche role' of the ES. (to be honest; one of the reasons I picked the class to begin with. ;) )

*= you could easily add not stackable with enchantments too.
Would mean no more 47% dodging gits which could be (very?) NPE...
SaltedSalmon

Post by SaltedSalmon »

Oh no that's bad. Now you just can't get rid of pets at all because you can't hit the 1 damage per attack tier even at 75% resistance, and also players fighting you are in for a world of pain.
Nayru

Post by Nayru »

Warharan wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:51 pm I do see what you mean but...

Would it not be a lot easier/simpler if WoE would not stack with any sort of armour* and resist 50% for example?
Easy being the 'niche role' of the ES. (to be honest; one of the reasons I picked the class to begin with. ;) )

*= you could easily add not stackable with enchantments too.
Would mean no more 47% dodging gits which could be (very?) NPE...
high def on es isn't going away anytime soon, and 50% res broadly would be obscene even if resist didn't come first

essentially what that'd do is make es, already a very obnoxious class for players to kill with high def/generally high hp/now a potentially 9 passive impact aura pretty much not worth the ap to attack for all but the highest-end killer builds

i.e. take another es that lands wof 4 times in a row (somehow) with one of these overpowered 12 pierce longbows

27 arcane --> 13 arcane
30 arcane --> 15 arcane
33 arcane --> 16 arcane
36 arcane --> 18 arcane

end result: 62 damage from four greater smites from the most powerful weapon in the game with full combo boost

only thing that'd work on that is gun es since it ignores resist