Skill: Slight Rework to Infernal Jets

Suggestions the development team sees as having value for future content.
MrFrank
Location: Lambda, a Subterranean Storage Facility, Mount Altrea Site

Skill: Slight Rework to Infernal Jets

Post by MrFrank »

At the moment Infernal Jets seems to drop all momentum if you go in any direction other than the current trajectory (going by the wiki page). I was thinking of a slight adjustment for it, it can work in several different ways. Say if you are travelling NORTH, moving to a NORTH-WEST or NORTH-EAST tile doesn't affect your momentum. Then if you are on the NORTH-WEST tile, you now have an option of going back NORTH or WEST if you choose to preserve your momentum (or you can continue going NORTH-WEST if that's where you wanted to go, without losing momentum).

Instead of "preserving momentum" i.e. retaining the AP discount for travelling in a straight line, changing direction by 1 degree (i.e. one tile to the left/right of where you were headed) would only lower the current bonus by 1 stage instead of completely resetting it. This is an alternative suggestion for the mechanic described in the first paragraph.

Fallen taking a U-turn

Another thing that could be done to balance this out if needed (complicates it a bit but fits thematically) is so you have to travel a minimum of two tiles before changing direction (provided you are aiming to retain the movement bonus). Akin to drifting with a vehicle, would make sense that Fallen's Infernal Jets would need to carry them a short distance before changing course.

Momentum lost!
Momentum retained!

Basically instead of making Fallen completely reliant on straight lines, make it so they can plan their movement a little and preserve their momentum via a few zig-zags.
Last edited by MrFrank on Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|| glueman / 11968 || manco / 11970 || johnquail / 11976 || drcoomer / 12377 || a.r.boretum / 12546 || gnomechompski / 13303 ||
Goliath

Re: Slight Rework to Infernal Jets

Post by Goliath »

+1, very interesting idea
A Parrot with a Blade - Melee/Touchcaster Holy Champion || GrayScimitar - Heavy Sword Tlac IB || RustyWire - Gunwiz
Fellis
Site Admin

Re: Slight Rework to Infernal Jets

Post by Fellis »

This is much more interesting than my proposal which was Infernal Jets just functions like flight, but your fifth move in the same direction is free and you get 1/3 movement after that

so 10100100 8 moves for 3 AP but MUST be in a straight line where normal flight is
10101010 8 moves for 4 AP but any direction you want

Mine is easier to code, but yours is much more flavorful and somewhat interesting if you find plotting these courses interesting (otherwise you probably just spend an extra AP or two)