Gameplay: Driving vehicles

Suggestions the development team does not plan to act on
sekki

Gameplay: Driving vehicles

Post by sekki »

Vehicles can be driven.
  • It costs ap to start/stop/enter/exit/fuel the vehicle (vehicles use gasoline and maybe can also be refueled at gas stations).
  • The vehicle has movement like infernal jets. (Lasts for status ticks based on fuel level)
  • If you hit water you are ejected from the vehicle and the car sinks beneath the waves.
  • If you hit another player you get into a car wreck and both you and the player you hit take damage. (could also be a chance and not guaranteed). Maybe this can also hit hidden/invisible characters.
  • If you hit an unfriendly barricade you get into a car wreck deal damage to the barricade and also you take damage.
  • Every time you enter a square you have a chance of crashing on the terrain which wrecks the car and deals damage to you. (Because. why should we know how to drive hah. Maybe skills can decrease this chance. Perhaps is proportional to hide chance - like 1/5th hide chance or something)
Nayru

Re: Gameplay: Driving vehicles

Post by Nayru »

i don't like how infernal jets works but i can understand the vehicular analogue in its mechanics

either way on a sidenote i just need a place to put this, don't mind me
big poppo.png
big poppo.png (180.86 KiB) Viewed 8881 times
- You say, "Oh my me." (2022-01-30 03:41:07).
Repth

Post by Repth »

Omg that is a big poppo.

"I like it when you call me big poppo." Almost like the song!

Anyway, this idea is crazy to me, but if some coder or admin wants to make it work, hey go right ahead.
littleglassflowers

Post by littleglassflowers »

Nayru wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:36 am either way on a sidenote i just need a place to put this, don't mind me
These forums - all of you are so incredibly powerful.

Uh, anyway...
sekki wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:00 am Vehicles chat, here.
I like this a lot, in theory. It seems a LOT of work, though. Too much to be worth it, I, a complete rando, should think.
If it WERE implemented, some extra suggestions:
  • Vehicles should be rare, and decay over time. This isn't Super Nexus Vehicle Bout! Not yet, at least. Not... Yet.
  • Fuelled vehicles require fuel cans; this might make fuel stations even more contested, but that's fun![/spoiler]
    • Vehicles as weapons could run off improvised thrown weapon mechanics; I think they should be weaker, though, see point one. You don't want a sub-mechanic to overcome the core gameplay.
    • Animal-type characters and characters that should in no logical way be able to drive, should be the best drivers.
    • Furtheremore, please imagine an IB crying as they try to use their big, useless clawhands (or similar) to steer, ineffectively...
    More seriously, I think non-drivable vehicles - segways and bikes - might be a better fit for the Nexus. They could make flat terrain function as Quickway, but naturally degrade over time.
Fellis
Site Admin

Post by Fellis »

The year's twenny-one, in my trunk is blood ice
In my rearview mirror is a holy champ who's not nice
I got two choices y'all, pull over the car or
Bounce like a devil, put the pedal to the floor
Now I ain't trying to see no gusting hunt with Alyss
Plus I got a few potions I can duel that dumb.. butt
So I, pull over to the side of the road
I heard, "Girl, do you know why I'm stopping you for?"
"Cause I'm young and I'm neutral and my MO's too low"
Do I look like a mind reader, miss? I don't know
Am I under arrest or should I guess some more?
"Well you was doing twenty-nine in Four-Oh " (uh huh)
"License, character profile, and step out of the car"
"Are you carrying a chont nade on you, I know a lot of you are"
I ain't stepping out of shit, all my newspapers legit
"Well do you mind if I look around the car a little bit?"
Well my glove compartment is glyphed, so is the trunk in the back
And I know my rights so you goin' need some dispel for that
"Aren't you sharp as a tack? You some type of developer or something?"
"Somebody important or something?"
Well, I ain't learned to code, but I know a little bit
Enough that you won't 25% search my shit
"Well we'll see how smart you are when the EoD revo come"
I got ninety nine problems but a bitch ain't one, hit me
sekki

Post by sekki »

A low(?) effort alternative is to ignore all the crashy bits.

Something like “using a fuel can” on a vehicle picks up the vehicle and grants you X status ticks of “driving”. (This grants you infernal jets and the ability to carry super heavy items and maybe extra carry cap?). Using additional fuel cans resets the duration to X (and resets your movement bonus). Dropping the vehicle causes you to lose the status effect.

The crash bits were the parts that made me giggle tho :p.
SignedName

Post by SignedName »

sekki wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:14 pm A low(?) effort alternative is to ignore all the crashy bits.

Something like “using a fuel can” on a vehicle picks up the vehicle and grants you X status ticks of “driving”. (This grants you infernal jets and the ability to carry super heavy items and maybe extra carry cap?). Using additional fuel cans resets the duration to X (and resets your movement bonus). Dropping the vehicle causes you to lose the status effect.

The crash bits were the parts that made me giggle tho :p.
Vehicles are super-heavy items, so maybe not the ability to carry super-heavies, as putting a pickup truck into a golf cart would be... yeah. As for crashing, maybe crashes would cause the vehicle to take damage, and once it gets destroyed, you get ejected from the vehicle and can't use it anymore.* Road-like tiles having less chance of crashing, since... they're designed to be driven on. Ramming damage could be based on the stats we already have for them as super-heavy items, maybe scaled with the Infernal Jets effect (faster=more ouchies).

As for UI, maybe they could be represented by greyed out car icons on the map, which turn white/yellow if another player/you enter it.

*maybe each attack against a player in a car would have a chance to hit the car, instead of the player, degrading its quality

EDIT: Also, cars should start out locked, so you have to lockpick them to get inside. And you have to have Engineering + a toolkit to hotwire the car to get it to run.
sekki

Post by sekki »

To clarify: the “picking up super heavy items” bit was about how to shortcut moving the vehicle. Not about picking up other superheavy items.

And yea. If it’s not too difficult maybe each movement should also roll degradation (like an attack) and a crash would either have a much higher chance of degrade or outright destroy it.
littleglassflowers

Post by littleglassflowers »

Fellis wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:36 pm The year's twenny-one, in my trunk is blood ice...
I have nothing of value I can add that will enhance this further. But know you are seen, and appreciated.

Though - I do have another thought, here. Vehicles and wandering 'mobs' as destroyable resource vendors - Shintolin had this with wild animals - could be interesting. Waste time scrapping a car and you might be able to get more chunks of steel/iron than you would by spending your AP searching, but if you only do the job halfway, you get nothing..? Let me mull this one over, feels a bit half-baked.