Gameplay: Painkillers Give Resistance, not Soak

Suggestions the development team does not plan to act on
SignedName

Gameplay: Painkillers Give Resistance, not Soak

Post by SignedName »

I made this suggestion before, but might as well put it out there again, especially given new mechanics in B5. It makes more sense for painkillers to make blows hurt less, rather than to actually stop incoming damage, which I think Resistance models better. With how soak works in, for example, Acid Spells' capstone, this would have a gameplay effect as well, as Painkillers would no longer nullify the capstone effect (which makes sense- it's not like eating pills is going to stop the corrosive effects of acid).
SaltedSalmon

Re: Gameplay: Painkillers Give Resistance, not Soak

Post by SaltedSalmon »

Makes lore sense, but there's a few mechanical problems.
For example, this actually screws up not only Acid but pretty much all spellcasting! Resists disable capstone effects, so if you have 10% resistance to a certain element, that would block the extra Acid damage. (Yes, this does mean the Acid capstone can be blocked by both Soak and Resistance)

The other problem is that 10% resist is pretty much only gonna block 1 damage in live combat, and 0 damage in all other cases. Unless it rounds up, in which case it'll just block 1 damage and be like current painkillers.
Fellis
Site Admin

Post by Fellis »

+1 soak can be incredibly powerful if you need to reduce pets from 2 to 1. Also the things Salted Salmon said. I don't see how resistance evokes ignoring pain better than soak also. Acid capstone is likely changing as well because it's bad
Nayru

Post by Nayru »

resistance technically gives you soak but that particular capstone is very undertuned

the only one that should negate itself through soak is slashing and only because of the otherwise severe intended potency

the rest were slated to be negated by resistance, so.. (if wondering about low-end resists, probably 20% at minimum would be required to punt spell effects, which is slated to be included to 6/6 clothes and 3/6 spell memo)
SaltedSalmon wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:39 pm The other problem is that 10% resist is pretty much only gonna block 1 damage in live combat, and 0 damage in all other cases. Unless it rounds up, in which case it'll just block 1 damage and be like current painkillers.
resistance always rounds down, so if you soak a hit down to 2 and have 1% resist, 1.98 --> 1

it's technically impossible for a resist painkiller to not also nix 1 damage unless you already have resist involved
- You say, "Oh my me." (2022-01-30 03:41:07).
Kandarin

Post by Kandarin »

Devs who have replied already have spelled out why this doesn't make more sense as a change.
Katerina Hasheen - Necromancer Advocate, champion of a better Hashaa
Serena Hasheen - Gun ES, Macro Hunter, Freedom Array booster
Isabel Hasheen - Gunwizard Councillor, infusion's #1 fan
Kandarin - Lightning Elementalist, Crusader, fontnet architect
Erduhr-Khazai - Fire-breathing Dragon DO, Evil Overlord, pillager of planes