Map: Barricades block flying

Suggestions the development team does not plan to act on
sekki

Map: Barricades block flying

Post by sekki »

Barricades are easily overcome in T3 (just fly) and has the potential to make life hard for unfactioned/small facs during T2.

Perhaps barricades should block flying.
Last edited by sekki on Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
iButt

Re: Map: Barricades block flying

Post by iButt »

Maybe it should be possible near the edges of the domes? - You build walls all of the way up to the roof.
oath2order

Post by oath2order »

iButt wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:24 am Maybe it should be possible near the edges of the domes? - You build walls all of the way up to the roof.
I feel like this is a fair compromise if this is done but like

On the face of it, it seems absurd. Yeah, it's a wall, you fly over them, that's a thing. Maybe add some sort of damage penalty.

But if this happens, you can't forget Hovering, and maybe can't forget Stepping of the Corner or Wisp Form.
old-school member been here since like September 2014, I finally got my original start date.
Nova

Post by Nova »

It does seem kind of odd to make a mechanic like this that 13 of the game's 21 classes can just ignore. Also a little unbalanced, as 5 of those classes are good, and 5 of them are evil, while only 3 neutrals can ignore barricades.
sekki

Post by sekki »

I am a-ok with stuff like Stepping of the Corner bypassing barricades. But Fly is way too ubiquitous esp. since you can just get it on a potion. Basically you should be *special* to ignore a barricade and not the other way around.

I think neutrals actually can mostly ignore barricades too.
As Blink and League Step are literally teleports I don't see barricades blocking those. So it's just ES and Rev (maybe, since I dunno how bat / dust form count) that don't get barricade bypassing.
SaltedSalmon

Post by SaltedSalmon »

Nova wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:33 am while only 3 neutrals can ignore barricades.
I just checked the wiki after reading this and I think you're a bit off the mark.
It seems pretty much every neutral can ignore barricades except werewolf revenants and eternal soldiers.
Nova

Post by Nova »

SaltedSalmon wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:58 am
Nova wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:33 am while only 3 neutrals can ignore barricades.
I just checked the wiki after reading this and I think you're a bit off the mark.
It seems pretty much every neutral can ignore barricades except werewolf revenants and eternal soldiers.
Ah right, missed revs because they aren't listed as being able to fly (they can just move as if they were flying). Meanwhile wizards and nexus champions can teleport past the barricade, which will help for getting into territory the barricade might be protecting, but not into the barricaded tile itself.

Edit: I think I misread barricades too, so you could just teleport past and then walk in from behind them? Still odd to have 75% of everyone able to ignore them then.
Fellis
Site Admin

Post by Fellis »

we'll see how big a deal it is, people were complaining Fly sucked in B4 so I think Fly having some advantage over the runner classes who can get barricaded is fine
SaltedSalmon

Post by SaltedSalmon »

Fellis wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:01 am we'll see how big a deal it is, people were complaining Fly sucked in B4 so I think Fly having some advantage over the runner classes who can get barricaded is fine
You'd need people making barricades in first place though. And since everyone can get around barricades, I can't imagine most people would bother. At least, not enough to get sufficient data.
sekki

Post by sekki »

Yea, I guess I'm imagining that with all of 5.5 classes not having fly either there are very few barricades (because what's the point). Or there are barricades everywhere that almost no one bothers to break and everyone who can't just bypass uses potions of flying (though that might just be big faction-bias speaking)

Edit: But it's cool that ya'll are thinking of how to make flying better. Tbh I had already just written off Flying as worse than other movement (except for Burrow) and that's just another choice you factor in when picking your class :) .

Edit2: Maybe allow the construction of both "air" and "ground" barricades then? Flying can bypass if there is one or the other but not both. Ground can only bypass flying. Specials can still go through. Alternatively maybe barricades radiate Good/Transcendent/Evil which messes with the space continuum preventing teleportation and other forms of non-aligned ground transportation to have it not focus as hard on just a couple classes.

Edit3: Or maybe allow the construction of "ceiling" barricades which prevents a character from "landing" on a tile. (And maybe burrow should be allowed to bypass all of this if it isn't already).