Moderation Announcements forum

Suggestions the development team does not plan to act on
sohdbrimks

Moderation Announcements forum

Post by sohdbrimks »

We were discussing moderation and bans etc at FC, and that reminded me of an old forum I used to frequent where they had a section for moderators to publicly post their decisions. The name of the topic was simply the name of the person involved, and inside there was the reason for the warning or ban and its duration etc

Here is the page of that forum so you can see how it looks like:
http://www.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/foru ... on=t&fn=27

Not saying it's absolutelly necessary here, but it might be worth looking into.
Kandarin

Re: Moderation Announcements forum

Post by Kandarin »

We tend not to announce mod actions openly below a certain level of rule penalty as it might mean people being stuck with a reputation as a shady player for relatively minor infractions. This used to be a much more hard-and-fast rule, but we eased it because it made more problems than it solved.

We also tend not to post big public announcements of mod actions above a certain level of rule penalty - specifically, when someone is a bad-actor player bad enough to actually get permabanned. We'll still talk about it, but historically our site's bad-actor players have been people obsessed with their image and reputation and a big posted announcement would have given some of them attention they didn't need.

Posting on the forum would also require one specific admin to do the posting, reinforcing the impression that that one admin was behind the ruling. The Nexus admin team acts on consensus; except for the smallest and most open-and-shut cases it doesn't act until a quorum of admins have agreed on a conclusion.
Katerina Hasheen - Necromancer Advocate, champion of a better Hashaa
Serena Hasheen - Gun ES, Macro Hunter, Freedom Array booster
Isabel Hasheen - Gunwizard Councillor, infusion's #1 fan
Kandarin - Lightning Elementalist, Crusader, fontnet architect
Erduhr-Khazai - Fire-breathing Dragon DO, Evil Overlord, pillager of planes
sohdbrimks

Re: Moderation Announcements forum

Post by sohdbrimks »

We tend not to announce mod actions openly below a certain level of rule penalty as it might mean people being stuck with a reputation as a shady player for relatively minor infractions. This used to be a much more hard-and-fast rule, but we eased it because it made more problems than it solved.
Agree with this
And now that I think about it, the forum I posted was just a forum while this is a GAME, I think they're too different to be moderated the same way.

I was just brainstorming when I made this thread, but it's probably a bad idea after all.