Crazy idea for "Kaleidoscopia 2.0"

Suggestions the development team does not plan to act on
Badziew

Crazy idea for "Kaleidoscopia 2.0"

Post by Badziew »

I am not sure how hard it would be to implement, but today I recalled my old idea for a game mechanics, so I decided to share it - maybe the devs will find something useful in it.

This is an ever-changing plane of existence, "an island of order in a sea of chaos".

- Whenever a player character reaches an edge of the map (defined as sight range reaching some tile coordinates for which there are no existing tiles in database), the game automatically spawns some new random tiles in the "missing" places
- The game also tracks for each tile when it was last visited, and tiles that have not been visited for some long tile slowly "fade back into chaos" and are deleted from database
- To make things even more spicy, the game could also sometimes announce a "chaos storm" weather effect that randomly changes some of existing tiles into new tile types

Perhaps the only problem is that such plane heavily favours solitary play, as it is extremely easy to just walk far away from any other characters
My characters (sorted by IDs): Badziew, Tiger Fist, Pilgrim, Sentient Spellbook, a trojan cat.

Check my wiki profile for more information, including contact information.
Goliath

Re: Crazy idea for "Kaleidoscopia 2.0"

Post by Goliath »

+1
Add warp to both directions to limit the map space
A Parrot with a Blade - Melee/Touchcaster Holy Champion || GrayScimitar - Heavy Sword Tlac IB || RustyWire - Gunwiz
Fellis
Site Admin

Post by Fellis »

bump this in 8 months
SaltedSalmon

Post by SaltedSalmon »

Could be fun to replicate the current map (IE: Exploration without hypermap for people who are interested on that)
But it hasn't been 8 months yet so... lets see.
Badziew

Post by Badziew »

Updated version, taking advantage of existing mechanics and (hopefully) discouraging players from wandering too far away.

Theme:

This is an ever-changing plane of existence, "an island of order in a sea of primal chaos". It was recently discovered by Elder Powers and dragged into the Nexus war.

Mechanics:

- The lands of this plane are in permanent flux, being randomly created and destroyed by the sea of chaos. The only stabilising factor seems to be influence of Elder Powers in form of Infusion.
- Whenever a player character reaches an edge of the existing land (defined as sight range containing some tile coordinates for which there are no existing tiles in database), the game automatically spawns some new random tiles in the "missing" places. The spawned tiles are slightly infused towards that character's ethos.
- Infusion is also slowly seeping in through Anchors, constantly infusing Anchor tiles towards corresponding ethoses, similar to "Native Grounds" mechanics of the main outer planes.
- The sea of chaos is actively opposing all infusion, decaying infusion points of all ethoses towards zero (also analogous to the "Native Ground" mechanics).
- Besides normal infusion mechanics, the tiles of this place can also be passively infused by simple exploration (movement, searching, etc).
- On every AP tick tiles that are not in sight range of any character have a chance to be completely destroyed. The chance is decreased by Infusion points, so that maxxed Infusion almost completely protects a tile from destruction. Anchor tiles are completely protected and can never be destroyed.
- On every AP tick there is also a small chance that a random area of the plane will be ravaged by a "storm o chaos". Tiles affected by the storm are randomly "mutated" to different tile types, there is also a small chance that special tile features like portals will be created or removed.
- Characters caught in a storm of chaos receive a random amount of planar damage. Normal protections against that damage (e.g. Planar Protection status) are either completely ineffective or have greatly reduced effect, instead the damage is reduced by tile's Infusion so that maxxed Infusion gives an almost complete immunity.
- If a building tile is changed by storm of chaos to a non-building tile, all characters inside a building are automatically ejected outside and receive an additional amount of planar damage.
My characters (sorted by IDs): Badziew, Tiger Fist, Pilgrim, Sentient Spellbook, a trojan cat.

Check my wiki profile for more information, including contact information.
Kandarin

Post by Kandarin »

This is more of an event suggestion - we don't usually build new permanent planes from suggestions, and we already get a lot of feedback arguing that the current world is too big and needs to be made even smaller.
Katerina Hasheen - Necromancer Advocate, champion of a better Hashaa
Serena Hasheen - Gun ES, Macro Hunter, Freedom Array booster
Isabel Hasheen - Gunwizard Councillor, infusion's #1 fan
Kandarin - Lightning Elementalist, Crusader, fontnet architect
Erduhr-Khazai - Fire-breathing Dragon DO, Evil Overlord, pillager of planes