Gameplay: Simplify damage's types (a modest proposal for the next breath)

Suggestions for game development and improvements. One suggestion to a thread, please.
Riss

Gameplay: Simplify damage's types (a modest proposal for the next breath)

Post by Riss »

After three of my suggestions made it to the implemented subforum, I think the time is ripe to make one for the dump as well, to balance things out. :D

I therefore propose to reduce the current types of damage from the current 11 to 4: physical, electric, cold and fire.

In my humble opinion:
  1. the current types are too diluted and (with exceptions) without a clear thematic identity
  2. less types would be easier to balance (for devs) and understand (for players)
  3. it would be fun if the choice of which damage to use against whom was thoughtful, rather than spamming X because my class excels at it or it is a safe bet (looking at you, cold)
What I have in mind (very little):
  • physical damage is cheap and reliable, every other one costs MP
  • every warrior (= not-spellcaster) class has access to decent physical damage
  • electricity is the favorite element of angels, fire for the demons, both can use cold although less effectively
  • ES don't have access to the elements but use physical attacks very well
  • Revs and Liches excel with cold
  • NC damage depends on her MO (electrical if she is good...)
  • Lichs are immune to cold damage
  • spellcasters can learn every element, mastering an element gives soak in that element BUT a negative physical soak too
  • only titan pets do elemental damage
  • I would give the cold's capstone to fire (the target is on fire) and the death's capstone to cold (brittle)
Jayne Cobb | your doppelgänger | Rhialto the Marvellous | an eerie melody | the man who sold the world | Duncan Idaho

Sorry for any mistakes. English is not my native language.
SkullFace

Re: Gameplay: Simplify damage's types (a modest proposal for the next breath)

Post by SkullFace »

Personally I feel otherwise. Variety of damage types and soaks are all good.
the current types are too diluted and (with exceptions) without a clear thematic identity
On this I disagree. There are good themes for classes e.g. WM (Acid), IB (Fire, Unholy), Seraph (Electric), Archon (Holy). The ability for other classes to vary their damage types allows for personal identity rather than forced identity.

I'd like to see damage types planned out alongside weapons in B6. I'd rather we didn't see further removal of variety.
Riss

Post by Riss »

I think acid is a good candidate for a simplification :D
  • I dare you to tell me, without looking at the grand table, if/when it is better than death/cold/unholy
  • I believe that right now the main thing that influences the choice of the element is the presence of classes that are immune and how widespread they are
  • Among those who can choose it, I think it is more of a flavor choice than a utility one because (again IMO) there are better spells/capstones
  • (To say nothing of certain archmages who are now buried by the dust in their chairs because their element isn't desired)
  • I respect all flavor choices (after all, I changed my IB to a NC 8-) ) but when was the last time you noticed what element you were killed with?
  • I would replace acid in WM with a decent physical damage, not your main source of damage but reliable if you need to finish someone
For these reasons I think that the elimination of some types of damage, even if it reduces biodiversity, can lead to better simplicity of design and use.
Jayne Cobb | your doppelgänger | Rhialto the Marvellous | an eerie melody | the man who sold the world | Duncan Idaho

Sorry for any mistakes. English is not my native language.
Jorus

Post by Jorus »

I respect all flavor choices (after all, I changed my IB to a NC 8-) ) but when was the last time you noticed what element you were killed with?
On certain chars never. On others, every single time and I then add in soak against that type. I disagree that removing damage types would improve the game. Less options means less chances to find a weak spot. If you don't care to try and find that hole in someone's soak that's fine, but making it where every char can easily have additional soak against every damage type is boring.