Gameplay: Why the Infusion Situation on Outer Planes is bad

Suggestions for game development and improvements. One suggestion to a thread, please.
Klapaucius

Re: Gameplay: Why the Infusion Situation on Outer Planes is bad

Post by Klapaucius »

Wait, so a stygian neighbourhood permanently reduces in 'resilience' after being flipped once, and that's that for the breath?
SharkyNebula

Post by SharkyNebula »

Klapaucius wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:26 am Wait, so a stygian neighbourhood permanently reduces in 'resilience' after being flipped once, and that's that for the breath?
that was my read as well
SaltedSalmon

Post by SaltedSalmon »

Thread derailing at top speed
I do have mixed ideas about it (Seems like a nice mechanic despite being odd gameplay wise), but should be discussed in its own thread
Klapaucius

Post by Klapaucius »

I would suggest that this thread was derailed from the moment the title was written.

On topic (?), until recently, purgatorio had the strongest innate protection, in that transcended always infused to moral freedom regardless of faction. This was much more restrictive than the Ely/stygia passive infusion for incursions.

Good riddance to that mechanic, though getting some innate protection back for moral freedom makes sense.

On the topic of this suggestion, I don't mind it. As basically a reward for fully infusing a tile. Passive infusion is annoying, it would be more gratifying to have a home-team infusion advantage rather than pve janitorial hell.
Haweh

Post by Haweh »

What is a resiliency-X and why is it only documented in TNC's discord server?

This seems like pretty pertinent information for DOs
SharkyNebula

Post by SharkyNebula »

Haweh wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:38 pm What is a resiliency-X and why is it only documented in TNC's discord server?

this game has some secret game mechanics
Kandarin
Site Admin

Post by Kandarin »

Haweh wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:38 pm What is a resiliency-X and why is it only documented in TNC's discord server?

It's actually quite irrelevant to the DO experience almost all of the time - for it to come up, a neighborhood would have to be assigned as native-Stygia content (something that had to be manually done by dev fiat), get conspicuously taken over by non-Evil forces, then be retaken by Evil. This is a set of events that it's ludicrously hard to cause to happen and as such has happened either one or zero times - depending on how one assesses the fact that Evil still hasn't dislodged the non-Evil forces that are actively occupying one of their neighborhoods (and thus step two, "take it back for Evil" hasn't happened in a lasting way) - and is unlikely to ever happen again this Breath. All the other Stygia neighborhoods are a tougher target for non-Evil invaders than Chorazin.

...and it wasn't documented because it was initially unintended. We built a mechanism that flips a bit to zero ("land can't be overlorded") when it knocked to Contested (if non-Stygia) or taken by Good/Unaligned (if Stygia) and then built a mechanism that flips that bit to one ("land that can be overlorded") when it's captured by Evil if it was a zero. What that mechanism didn't do is flip it to two, because setting that bit to two for some neighborhoods was something that happened as a one-off boon by dev fiat, sort of like how Pocket Space was initially Unaligned territory but has no reason to stay that way. "Resiliency" is a term that doesn't exist inside dev; it was invented for this conversation thread. I didn't even realize it had happened until (if I recall correctly) someone in TNC discord asked some questions about how overlord claims worked and I did some digging and realized something interesting had happened as a result of their actions.

It hasn't been changed because it's kinda cool that it has an impact, given the sheer difficulty of ever taking land in an outer plane in Nexus as the opposing team and the massive effort that went into it. If TNC were ever ousted it'd be unlikely to have a real impact on whoever moved into Chorazin anyway.
Katerina Hasheen - Necromancer Advocate, champion of a better Hashaa
Serena Hasheen - Gun ES, Macro Hunter, Freedom Array booster
Isabel Hasheen - Gunwizard Councillor, infusion's #1 fan
Kandarin - Lightning Elementalist, Crusader, fontnet architect
Erduhr-Khazai - Fire-breathing Dragon DO, Evil Overlord, pillager of planes