Invisibility potions to be consumed with a delay

Suggestions for game development and improvements. One suggestion to a thread, please.
NearNihil

Invisibility potions to be consumed with a delay

Post by NearNihil »

I don't know how to phrase the thread title, but the idea is to have a cooldown on chugging invisibility potions with the goal of reducing the ability for someone to stall a raid by just having an inventory full of the things.

Proposal:
- Both types of invisibility potions come with an additional effect, "invisibility potion saturation" (I'm open to suggestions on the name)
- The Invisibility potion grants 3 status ticks of the effect, Extended Invisibility 15. Being anointed with the potions double the respective saturations too.
- While you're saturated with the potions, you can not consume another.

That's it. If you do try to drink another potion while the effect is going, neither the potion nor the AP spent to drink it are consumed and you get an error message.
Don't like someone but can't be bothered to do the dirty work yourself? Hire RED!
Want something but can't be bothered making it yourself? Buy from PIMCO!
chaosmarine

Re: Invisibility potions to be consumed with a delay

Post by chaosmarine »

Why would extended invisibility have a longer cooldown than regular invisibility? The effect is the same outside of duration, it should be the same cooldown. I'm not sure about the extra cooldown from anoint. What is the goal of increasing the status tick cooldown for longer duration invisibility?

If someone is actively trying to defend with invisibility and uses a regular potion and is revealed, you get probably 3 attacks on them before they can try again. If they do the same with an XI pot then you get 15(probably less, as they may trigger some ticks on their own at this length). The extra duration of these effects seems irrelevant in the context of these defenses, so I'm not seeing the need for an extra penalty. If the goal is to block this tactic, then why not make it a 1-2 minute effect instead of status ticks?

Also would this effect other forms of invisibility? Should it?
NearNihil

Post by NearNihil »

chaosmarine wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:22 am 1) Why would extended invisibility have a longer cooldown than regular invisibility? The effect is the same outside of duration, it should be the same cooldown. I'm not sure about the extra cooldown from anoint. What is the goal of increasing the status tick cooldown for longer duration invisibility?

2) If someone is actively trying to defend with invisibility and uses a regular potion and is revealed, you get probably 3 attacks on them before they can try again. If they do the same with an XI pot then you get 15(probably less, as they may trigger some ticks on their own at this length). The extra duration of these effects seems irrelevant in the context of these defenses, so I'm not seeing the need for an extra penalty. If the goal is to block this tactic, then why not make it a 1-2 minute effect instead of status ticks?

3) Also would this effect other forms of invisibility? Should it?
1) I thought it'd be a decent opportunity to make the regular variant have a purpose beyond "I found it in a place where one finds potions and I guess I can use this instead of an XI while I travel to a place". Its purpose would be to aid in active combat, as opposed to XI's "I don't want to be found while I sleep". The anoint thing isn't strictly necessary, I suppose, since it could just as easily be flavored as the potency of the potion affecting the inability to consume another. I would like to distinguish the two flavors of potion since crafting the two is functionally identical, though perhaps 15 ticks is overkill.

2) The goal is to reduce the effectiveness, not eliminate it entirely. It should be available as a defensive option, but raids shouldn't have to rely on sources of revealing as much as they do now. A time-based debuff preventing retrying the invisibility would make it a "take it once and pray to the Nine Divines no one notices".

3) I'm only aware of the VW's invisibility besides potions, and they pay with MP, so it's less of an issue.
Don't like someone but can't be bothered to do the dirty work yourself? Hire RED!
Want something but can't be bothered making it yourself? Buy from PIMCO!
Liche

Post by Liche »

I don't know that I'm a fan of this idea. An easy supply of MP for casting Reveals is not an issue in this Breath — between Energizing, Potions of Magic Recovery, Soul Ice, Dark Heart, and whatever other effects are out there, I don't think anyone is short of juice. Or they shouldn't be, with a decently prepared raid team.

If you run into that one guy who has a dozen of these potions, well, how often does that happen? That represents a large effort on the defenders' behalf, too. Plus that defender has to catch an active attack. It might not be all that thrilling for the raid team to see their attack stalled because of this well– prepared defender, but I doubt raid targets are all that thrilled to see invaders bust down their ward and kill everyone inside in under three minutes, either.

If there is an invisibility cool– down period, the strategy becomes functionally useless. I routinely see Behemoths hitting for 25+ points of damage per hit. If there's a three tick cool– down, that prepared and ready IB could deliver 75+ points of damage before the defender gets to drink another potion. If multiple attackers are ready, that number goes up.

Raid teams have gotten very used to needing ward bashers, a tank, and other roles as part of the attack crew. Having the "Ready Revealer" could be another part of the force.