Interface: display hints about faction rank's meaning or position in hierarchy

Suggestions for game development and improvements. One suggestion to a thread, please.
Badziew

Interface: display hints about faction rank's meaning or position in hierarchy

Post by Badziew »

Faction ranks can be renamed to arbitrary labels, but game interface does not display in any way what each rank name actually means.
To make things worse, it is allowed by interface to give all faction ranks identical names, which makes the problem even worse.
Even if you are a member of a faction, it is not possible to learn what each rank is named and what are its privileges, that information is only visible on faction edit form.

It would be nice if there was a hint, tooltip, icon etc displayed with each rank to describe what level in hierarchy (Leader - Leutenant - Veteran - Initiate) that rank is.
Or maybe add a description "Ranks: XXX, YYY, ZZZ, VVV" to faction page and/or faction list?
My characters (sorted by IDs): Badziew, Tiger Fist, Pilgrim, Sentient Spellbook, a trojan cat.

Check my wiki profile for more information, including contact information.
Liemannen

Re: Interface: display hints about faction rank's meaning or position in hierarchy

Post by Liemannen »

No, they should remain secret. Outsiders shouldn't be told the power structure of their enemies. If a faction wants to reveal that to others they can name their leaders with a fancy titles, "Most Highest, Grandest, Exalted Supreme Dictator-For-Life" and lesser people with lesser titles. But all factions shouldn't be forced to spell out their hierarchy.
Badziew

Re: Interface: display hints about faction rank's meaning or position in hierarchy

Post by Badziew »

This makes some sense for outsiders (although some factions might want to reveal such details publicly), but I was thinking more about faction members.

When you join a faction, you only know for certain how the initiate rank is named, because that's the rank you get at start, but the other three ranks are a mystery.
You can guess a bit by looking at faction roster and checking ranks of people on top of list (= probably leaders and lieutenants) and people in the middle ( = probably veterans) but that is not foolproof - and even such guesses do not reveal anything about rank privileges.
Only when you get promoted to top, to a rank that has "edit faction" privilege, only then you can finally visit faction edit form and personally check these settings.

Sure, faction leader can put some hints in faction board, but why waste space describing something that could be automatically displayed by game engine?
My characters (sorted by IDs): Badziew, Tiger Fist, Pilgrim, Sentient Spellbook, a trojan cat.

Liemannen

Post by Liemannen »

Well, yeah, *maybe* the faction members should see that.
Badziew

Post by Badziew »

Liemannen wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:50 pm Well, yeah, *maybe* the faction members should see that.
Another option would be to add a new faction setting and allow each faction to decide if they want to show such hints and to whom (everyone, allies, friends, faction members, members above X rank, etc).