Font Creation - Allow font creation based on pet elemental profile

Suggestions the development team sees as having value for future content.
Meric

Font Creation - Allow font creation based on pet elemental profile

Post by Meric »

Font creation is clearly related to the ability to summon; except poor Liches.

Currently PMs just learn a 10cp spell to create fonts in that flavour. With buyback this is a pretty easy process and you can just recycle that 10cp to create any Font you like sans the aligned stuff.

As such why dont we allow the font creators the ability to make fonts based on spells in addition to the elemental profile of any pets they can summon?

So Elementalists could create Fire, Cold, Impact or Electric Fonts if they know a pet skill of that elemental pet type. For example, Fire Fonts if you know Ember, Salamander or Phoenix.

WMs can make Fire Fonts for Hounds and Acid Fonts for Tentacles

LS can make... Holy Fonts... IDK, no changes for them. Actually, JMs make Electric Fonts and Foos make Slashing Fonts due to their secondary damage? That way LS/WM are sort of balanced out.

It would more thematically ground the creation / summoning relationship for very low cost. Plus the PM would have already had to have spent 30cp to gain this ability. It just removes the very brief 10cp / 150xp spell / buyback tax.

------------------------------------------------------------

Bonus suggestion: Font Empowering / Draining by sacrificing pets. For example, sacrificing Hurricanes on Electric Fonts to buff them up or sacrificing Imps on Holy Fonts to damage it. Im too scared to make that suggestion on its own though.
Sunset Shimmer attacked you with a Frozen Gauntlet and hit for 62 points of holy damage. She was hiding! This attack was charged with righteous wrath! Their body strained with holy resolve as they added physical power to this attack! (2021-11-22)
squib

Re: Font Creation - Allow font creation based on pet elemental profile

Post by squib »

squib approves +1
Meric

Post by Meric »

Meric wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:47 am ------------------------------------------------------------
Bonus suggestion: Font Empowering / Draining by sacrificing pets. For example, sacrificing Hurricanes on Electric Fonts to buff them up or sacrificing Imps on Holy Fonts to damage it. Im too scared to make that suggestion on its own though.
Bumping this because of the changes to fonts and the sheer mind-numbing tedium their maintenance is now bringing my chars as font owners, factionmates of owners and as regular font users/enjoyers.

Rationale: I fully understand that maybe there were too many fonts but this upkeep process is rather labourious and a pretty unfun tax on players resources. There is already going to be significant font destruction from the ones players or factions dont care to maintain. I feel there needs to be more maintenance options for fonts beyond brewing potions and throwing them onto the font.

Where as before topping up a font from 35 to 100 at 3mp at a time felt like an achievement now stopping a font decaying from 60 to 50 just feels like busy work.

Suggestion: Allowing the sacrificing of pets to regen fonts.

Additional flex on suggestion.

Pets only work on the fonts of their damage type. I believe all damage types are covered with some more than others. Holy has about 8, death 7, unholy 3 - so some balancing there would be good - maybe all WM pets as standard also do unholy - which would bring the amount of pets up to 9. Also balancing not just the amount of pet types but also their theoretical population within the Nexus - for example, we know that the amount of Liches with just zombies vs ghouls is going to be probably low (huh, apparently its 41 to 25 - how odd).

For example, these pets would repair:
Wight - death / arcane fonts
JM - holy / electric fonts
Imp - fire fonts (and unholy for balance)

The amount they repair the font could be based on the pet strength, balanced for their MP creation cost:
Minor, like wisp - 1 point
Mid, like wight - 2 points
Major, like Necro - 3 points

This allows for any pet crafting player to meaningfully help without just being a component collector / potion sacc-er. Think of the job creation for Revs, HCs and DHs.

Thematically we can put a wrapper on why / how each PM would sac their pet

"The Judgemaster combines its essence with the land, empowering this holy place"
"They Hydrodragon floods the ground around the font - making its new home within the magical shrine of its element"
"They Wrym-master picks up the imp and yeets it into the middle of the font with a crackle"
Last edited by Meric on Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunset Shimmer attacked you with a Frozen Gauntlet and hit for 62 points of holy damage. She was hiding! This attack was charged with righteous wrath! Their body strained with holy resolve as they added physical power to this attack! (2021-11-22)
NearNihil

Post by NearNihil »

I think this would be a good change. The idea of font decay was to slowly make unused fonts go away in a sort of font cleanup, and this would make it so it's less tedious to maintain ones you want to keep. Also, it's an MP sink since you sacrifice some 20 to 30 MP to recharge a font for 2 or 3 points, so it's difficult to argue it's broken in any way I think.

As for the original suggestion, I also agree, the character has some attunement with the element, essentially the same as learning one or a few spells of said element. Unless there are strong objections I'll promote these two suggestions.
Don't like someone but can't be bothered to do the dirty work yourself? Hire RED!
Want something but can't be bothered making it yourself? Buy from PIMCO!