Interface: Add an Emote menu

Suggestions for game development and improvements. One suggestion to a thread, please.
Liche

Interface: Add an Emote menu

Post by Liche »

Please consider adding an "Emote" menu to the game interface. I envision it being placed in the Speech Actions section.

Players would be able to buy, with credits, an Emote Menu. They should be able to buy multiple Emote Menus.

A player would then be able to define a keyword and an associated emote text. The keyword appears in the Emote Menu as a mnemonic trigger for the player. The emote text is automatically pasted into the speech window, exactly as if the player had typed it and then hit enter/return (incurring any AP costs as applicable).

For example, a player could buy an Emote Menu for entrances. They might set it up thusly:

Keyword "Dashing entrance"
Emote text "/me throws the door open wide, takes a long step in, throws his arms wide, and bursts into song!"

Keyword "Walk of shame"
Emote text "/me slinks in through the door, head held low. You can tell, just by looking at him. He just re– spawned after being killed by Brynleigh."

They could be set up for combat, too. Or really, any reason the player wanted. Consider:

Keyword "Dread Gaze"
Emote text "/me looks around, her bright and blazing eyes settling upon you! Suddenly, unbidden and unwanted, the power of holy radiance springs forth and sears your unworthy flesh!"
In this case, the player will follow this emote with an Eye of Judgement attack.

I imagine there will need to be some sanity checks on the text to make sure folks aren't throwing multiple closing quote marks at the end of their emote text. An Emote Menu should have a limit on the number of entries, say 10, just to keep them manageable. Likewise, the Emote text should not allow a greater text entry than you can perform through the speech box normally.

I think this would be a welcome addition to the game. By giving players the chance to set up a wide range of emotes beforehand — and store them — it increases the chances of players actually using emotes, and better emotes. I think players often are in a time crunch when raiding or moving around the map, and that causes people to cut back on emoting because of the very real (and reasonable) fear that they'll end up dead if they take more than a couple seconds to type out something witty.

I hope this suggestion will help improve the role– playing element of the game. I have always enjoyed this aspect very much, and I think many other players do, too.
Alkasyn

Re: Interface: Add an Emote menu

Post by Alkasyn »

Nice suggestion