Breath badges also count for ranks

Suggestions for game development and improvements. One suggestion to a thread, please.

Do you like this feature/change?

Yes (as is)
43%
Yes (with significant change)
No votes
No
57%

Total votes: 7

Klapaucius

Breath badges also count for ranks

Post by Klapaucius »

Narrow the gap between fresh players and old ones by making breath achieved badges ALSO count for ranks, until such time as the system is overhauled.

So the first full grind achieved in breath would take you to rank B. Second partway through rank C. etc etc.
NearNihil

Re: Breath badges also count for ranks

Post by NearNihil »

Don't they already? The Wiki says:
Breath Achievement Badges are awarded to characters based on their statistics for the current breath. Breath Achievement Badges are earned at the 500 mark (50,000 for damage dealt or damage taken, and 15,000 for hit points healed) or the 1000 mark (100,000 for damage dealt or damage taken, and 20,000 for hit points healed). They are gained in addition to Career Achievement Badges. Possessing a Career Achievement Badge in a statistic guarantees the corresponding Breath Achievement Badge in future Breaths. The badge names will be different every breath.
As I understand it, if I get 1000 kills with a character this breath, they'll get the achievements now and they'll count towards both this breath and all future breaths as far as ranks go.
Don't like someone but can't be bothered to do the dirty work yourself? Hire RED!
Want something but can't be bothered making it yourself? Buy from PIMCO!
Klapaucius

Post by Klapaucius »

As in, you complete 1 full grind you get 4 badges for this breath, but only 2 next breath.
indigosound

Post by indigosound »

I am having an issue with understanding this vote. Are we saying that if the career badge was earned this breath then if count this breath?
Karlito

Post by Karlito »

indigosound wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:16 pm I am having an issue with understanding this vote. Are we saying that if the career badge was earned this breath then if count this breath?
Currently you get both a breath acheivement badge and a career acheivement badge when you hit certain milestones. The career badges are what count for rank advancement, the breath badges are just for showing off your flair.
erikune

Post by erikune »

I voted no.

The current system requires grinding out every single badge to reach the maximum, including the fairly difficult ones like Damage Dealt and HP Healed. The proposed system would only require grinding out 10 separate badges from a fresh character, something much less time-consuming overall. The only thing that a long-time, experienced character would get is not needing to bother grinding the breath badges, although considering that someone can get two or three breath badges without too much difficulty, even this is lessened. Heck, this change will probably discourage some of the harder badge grinds altogether (like Damage or Heals) since it would be much easier to simply read 1000 books for the same badge.

This is assuming no change in the ranks system. If the CP granted were set, then this change would increase the number of badges required for each rank - basically, delaying the rank tiers for everyone and taking CP away from the longest played characters. At the most extreme, it would be asking everybody to grind those Damage Dealt badges for every breath.

If, instead, there was an interest in increasing the number of ranks available, I might be more in favor of this. The number of badges for the new ranks would need to be considerable, though, to avoid just flooding every character with extra CP.
A Quick Brown Fox [id 3412] ̶W̶o̶l̶f̶ Fox Revenant
ÆĐR [id 105796] Lightspeaker
Elly Mentalist [id 14108] Water Elementalist
erikune [id 3374] Bone Lich Alchemist
Scribalist [id 3375] Professional Grinder (for now)
Set o Lockpicks [id 7505] Mortal Lockpicker
Klapaucius

Post by Klapaucius »

Most of those sound like pros not cons to me. I'd leave the current total rank cap, so a fully ground character would never need to bother grinding in a new breath.

I definitely wouldn't want to see in-breath grinding become required for players with all the other grind that would be awful.

Basically it would mean that grinding last breath is worth about half compared to grinding this breath