Skills: Crafting-Environment Interactions

Suggestions for game development and improvements. One suggestion to a thread, please.
Lychwood

Skills: Crafting-Environment Interactions

Post by Lychwood »

This is more of a back-of-the-napkin suggestion, but I was just thinking of ways to make support skills feel a little more rewarding and impactful and one thing that crossed my mind was the idea that using a crafting skill on the appropriate tile could help improve that tile over time.

Ex: If you're a mastersmith and you spend all your time working at a specific factory to craft, over time that tile develops better find rates and more varied options on the drop table (or harvest dropdown?), to reflect the fact that it is now a more organized and productive workshop.

I think this would help add to the ways that players can take ownership of their surroundings and impact the game world in non-combat ways. It would also provide incentive and feedback for newer players who are trying to level through non-combat methods. Knowing that "their" workshop is improving because of their efforts would be satisfying. At higher levels of play, alliances might coordinate specific crafting locations to get optimized results. Certain locations would gain a reputation for being the best supplied resource spots, making their surroundings into more desirable real estate for SH placement. Part of "settling" a new area would be trying to focus on building up your nearby resource spots to serve you better.

I think the idea could even be tweaked to synergize with infusion somehow. Perhaps these benefits are only accessible to people who share alignment with the tile, or something.

Like I said, barely a sketch of an idea. But I feel like there's potential.
I am the filthiest casual.

Player of: Lychwood, Nirvanyos the Arcane, The Blackwolf, Froggy the Gremlin, The Necronomicorn, Morgein Winterhue, ᛊᛏᚨᛁᚾᚨᛉ
Goliath

Re: Skills: Crafting-Environment Interactions

Post by Goliath »

This is interesting, but would require it not being "do once and become permanent" somehow.
A Parrot with a Blade - Melee/Touchcaster Holy Champion || GrayScimitar - Heavy Sword Tlac IB || RustyWire - Gunwiz
Lychwood

Re: Skills: Crafting-Environment Interactions

Post by Lychwood »

Yeah, it would probably have to work based on actions taken within a certain time frame. The past week, maybe. I'm not sure exactly what's reasonable to code for--if you can just say "look at the last week and update on the day tick" or something.
I am the filthiest casual.

Player of: Lychwood, Nirvanyos the Arcane, The Blackwolf, Froggy the Gremlin, The Necronomicorn, Morgein Winterhue, ᛊᛏᚨᛁᚾᚨᛉ