Gameplay: Equalize degradation of non-combat items

Suggestions for game development and improvements. One suggestion to a thread, please.
sekki

Gameplay: Equalize degradation of non-combat items

Post by sekki »

Currently some non-combat [and I use this term fairly loosely] items (food, booze) can be destroyed when you die but others (books, potions) cannot.

It’s a little baffling why this is (like if anything canned food should be hardier than a potion), and just makes you more sad when you die :p.

I guess you can tell now that I’m arguing for removing destruction of at least non-combat items on death but I would settle for it being equalized in the opposite direction (i.e. all items can be destroyed on death).
Fellis

Re: Gameplay: Equalize degradation of non-combat items

Post by Fellis »

Degrades have been really scaled back over the years, I believe in NW you took degrade checks against everything in your inventory, and anything without item quality was blown up. I could see food/booze degrades going away as inventory space is already a pretty big limiter on carrying stuff around.

Thematically I do prefer that everything in your inventory can get blown up. However mechanically I'd prefer that there's less emphasis on staying alive because the more penalty for death usually means more hard feelings about getting murdered
Nayru

Post by Nayru »

i want item deletion in general to go away and that's the trend that's been occurring with weapon breaker's nixing at least

i'm not sure how well it'd go over if people lost things like books + nw's potion destruction came back
- You say, "Oh my me." (2022-01-30 03:41:07).
Nova

Post by Nova »

+1 To nixing death degradation in general.

If my books and spell gems start exploding on death I will be very sad.

Main issue would be that repair item starts are even more masochistic since you don't even get the, er, "bonus" exp from dying.
cat

Post by cat »

+1 for more consistency of item degradation rates.

Could also be useful and interesting for each character to have a small "safe pouch". Doesn't expand inventory, is just a safer section of it that sets items invulnerable to decay, costs 0 AP to transfer an item across to it but is very limited in size - maybe 10 weight? Wouldn't allow any weapons/armor.