Mechanics: Tier Reset

Suggestions for game development and improvements. One suggestion to a thread, please.

Do you like this feature/change?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 13

Goliath

Mechanics: Tier Reset

Post by Goliath »

Enables a mechanic similar to skill buyback, but for tiers.
Would reset, at no cost, all your CP purchases for the last tier, as well as tier choice, and revert you to the tier's starting level.

So, a lvl 25 character who feels their T3 selection is wrong could go back to lvl 20 and pick again, without having to reset their character.
A Parrot with a Blade - Melee/Touchcaster Holy Champion || GrayScimitar - Heavy Sword Tlac IB || RustyWire - Gunwiz
Klapaucius

Re: Mechanics: Tier Reset

Post by Klapaucius »

I prefer the other version that was floated, where refunding all the T3 skills enables you to refund the starting skill, which tiers you down.

Some high rank people might say 'but it will take me twice as long to refund all these skills as a fresh character', but they should be ignored with prejudice.

Still - I'll take this over nothing. Release/reclaim is just brutal in terms of how much additional grinding you have to do to get back to the same level of power, and resetting is a bit of a chore.
Goliath

Post by Goliath »

Klapaucius wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:45 amI prefer the other version that was floated, where refunding all the T3 skills enables you to refund the starting skill, which tiers you down.
Unlike refunding, tier reset would prevent using a fast leveller (say, a PM) to level-up a slow leveller (like an in-combat support).
This also allows you to get rid of a class you dislike immediately, rather than forcing you to keep playing it for a while.
Klapaucius wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:45 amSome high rank people might say 'but it will take me twice as long to refund all these skills as a fresh character', but they should be ignored with prejudice.
The higher the level (or rank), the longer this takes in comparison to refunding, as the XP cost of levels increases.
A Parrot with a Blade - Melee/Touchcaster Holy Champion || GrayScimitar - Heavy Sword Tlac IB || RustyWire - Gunwiz
Dissident

Post by Dissident »

Goliath wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:19 am
Klapaucius wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:45 amI prefer the other version that was floated, where refunding all the T3 skills enables you to refund the starting skill, which tiers you down.
Unlike refunding, tier reset would prevent using a fast leveller (say, a PM) to level-up a slow leveller (like an in-combat support).
This also allows you to get rid of a class you dislike immediately, rather than forcing you to keep playing it for a while.
Agreed. I'd rather be penalized for resetting and not before. I believe this should have a cooldown too of like a week.
Klapaucius wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:45 amSome high rank people might say 'but it will take me twice as long to refund all these skills as a fresh character', but they should be ignored with prejudice.
The higher the level (or rank), the longer this takes in comparison to refunding, as the XP cost of levels increases.
This will take me twice as long to refund all these skills in comparison with leveling a fresh character
Goliath

Post by Goliath »

This will take me twice as long to refund all these skills in comparison with leveling a fresh character
[/quote]

While true, you'd be able to fully spec into the new class after fully refunding, as you'd be keeping ranks and levels. (And you'd require significantly less xp for it)
Plus, you'd be able to use all T1/T2 tools and some T3 tools to level up, unlike resetting to mortal.

Also, I'd probably group the Tier Reset cooldown with character reset, with 1d cd.
SignedName

Gameplay: Re-Classing

Post by SignedName »

Allow characters to re-class after refunding all their class skills. Re-classing would be achieved by clicking "refund" on the class's free skill after all other class skills have been refunded, demoting them back to their previous class tier. Makes it so the process of respeccing a character is a little less painful, since you no longer have to start from Level 1.
Goliath

Re: Gameplay: Re-Classing

Post by Goliath »

Moving this under the Tier Reset suggestion of my own, as it's basically the same mechanic implemented slightly differently. Would add that I'd rather this play by learning a new class from its base level to its peak (which seems interesting and less exploitable) than by unlearning a class and then becoming a fully specc'd something else.