Skills: [Conduit] Masterworks

Suggestions for game development and improvements. One suggestion to a thread, please.
MrFrank
Location: Lambda, a Subterranean Storage Facility, Mount Altrea Site

Re: Skills: [Conduit] Masterworks

Post by MrFrank »

I think the possibility for abuse is certainly there and it's good that it was brought up, I don't think anyone means to say that the entire suggestion is without merit. In any case the potential issue can be resolved via a change in mechanics or in other ways.
|| glueman / 11968 || manco / 11970 || johnquail / 11976 || drcoomer / 12377 || a.r.boretum / 12546 || gnomechompski / 13303 ||
Nova

Post by Nova »

It's not like this would be the first of this type of thing to exist. Dark Oppressors can already give people a pact and then revoke it at any time, and as mentioned the newbie still gets a pristine weapon out of the deal.

What is a conduit going to do with 10 pristine swords? Why are they worth a gold bar or whatever was used to upgrade the weapon? How often do you think a random conduit is going to manage to sell an item to anyone outside their faction without just getting shot instead?
Alyss

Post by Alyss »

MrFrank wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:33 pm I think the possibility for abuse is certainly there and it's good that it was brought up, I don't think anyone means to say that the entire suggestion is without merit. In any case the potential issue can be resolved via a change in mechanics or in other ways.
I think that's fair. With a higher upper limit on the number of Masterworks you can have exist which I personally think would be a good change to give the Conduit/whatever more freedom, it should be no issue anyways. I won't go on any more about it since I think it's starting to occupy a bit more attention than the nature of the suggestion itself, but I overreacted a bit.
SignedName

Post by SignedName »

Badziew wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:13 pm TLDR:

Troll: "I will sell you this wonderful masterwork sword for the low, low price of ten mundane pristine swords. Deal?"
Clueless newbie: "Wow! Deal!"

(five minutes later)

Troll, revoking masterwork status and downgrading newbie's latest purchase to mere pristine: "Enjoy your crappy sword, sucker!"
Troll crafts more masterworks for more scams.
Newbie ragequits.
The game already has a mechanic like this- Dark Oppressor Pacts (in fact, that's where the idea came from). They can be revoked at any time by the DO, and revoking pacts has far more gameplay implications than revoking an armor/weapon buff, as Pacts enable skills and spells- entirely new attacks or abilities that can be revoked at a moment's notice. What stops people from tricking people into bad trades? The fact that people won't trade with them anymore if they make a habit of it. Your example is kind of weird anyway, though, given that a Conduit would be much better served by asking for raw ingredients than tons of pristine weapons.

If you really want to stop abuse of such mechanics in for example, raids, maybe revoking could create a countdown that warns the owner of the item that it's about to be revoked, in say, an hour.