Skills: More Small Unlockable Skills

Suggestions for game development and improvements. One suggestion to a thread, please.
littleglassflowers

Skills: More Small Unlockable Skills

Post by littleglassflowers »

Unfolding this from the enchanting thread; I think enchanting, and to some extent 'pure' wizardry being unrewarding should be discussed, too, but I wanted to ensure this gets mulled over to some degree.

Issue; As is, spells are the only extra-level expense that exists in the game. They are expensive, and require being found. This puts an undue burden on characters that want to mess around with magic OR require magic to synchronise with their abilities, ESPECIALLY those that wish to be generalist casters/enchanters.

Potential Solution/Enhancement; I think the cost of extra-level abilities should be lowered, with more slowly being added for specific class-types and generalists.

Examples:
  • Rare martial arts scroll that teaches you a variation punch/kick/chop/attack. It's not much better than your standard attacks, maybe even 2-4 damage WORSE... But it automatically deals elemental damage.
  • Abilities that synchronise with unpicked or underutilised skills, i.e. a limited form of Infernal Jets (if I understand how it works right?) for athleticism, perhaps returning one AP for every 5 tiles moved in a straight line.
  • General utility abilities, perhaps some earned by actions, instead of spending CP? Unlocking swimming via risking life and limb in water tiles, for examples, or becoming a mountaineer/forester, which doesn't grant a movement advantage (so as not to dilute late-game movement abilities) but DOES allow a small bonus to hiding in these otherwise open tiles.
  • Tiny bonuses that make mixed or odd playstyles more valid; using heavy weapons as an eternal soldier, for example, for those of us who don't dream about unleashing our fursona or being behemoths of the battlefield - but unlike the general heavy weapons boosts those classes get, the 5% accuracy bonuses are linked to SPECIFIC weapons, limiting their usefulness.
I think one of the problem with these games is that there comes a point where you've got the late-game abilities you want, but nothing from before really grabs you, either. Allowing spells and add-ons (some that you might have to earn through actions, finding items, or otherwise exploring/interacting with the world!) might be a good way to drive engagement and help make each character feel distinct, even if they're following similar class-builds.

You read this far? Thanks kindly... c: