Interface: Batch or redact pet retaliations

Past suggestions that have been incorporated into the live game.
Skouth

Interface: Batch or redact pet retaliations

Post by Skouth »

As a tank it's HELL trying to understand what the fuck is going on in a raid situation when you're being attacked by 10+ pets at any given time. It just clutters your message panel like hell, and the IB message panel is already cluttered due to Stygian Fury. having to scroll down to figure out whether or not you're hitting the petmaster or if they're just being healed by aethersprites or whatever costs precious seconds that, if you ever played tank, you know you can't spare in a raid when you're first in and eating e heaping helping of shit from everyone.
The solution would be a toggleable option in Character Settings that either batches all pet damage you've taken in the previous turn/since your last action into a neat "Since your last turn you took 30 damage from pet strikes, of that, 20 was holy, 5 was slashing and 5 piercing.", which I think would be nice but hard to code, or just do away with the messages at all and just rely on your gut feeling to figure out what the fuck is going on, which is bad but might be easier to code and sure as shooting beats not being able to tell if actives are spanking you or if you're missing targets like a moron
FOO LION DELENDA EST
Klapaucius

Re: Interface: Batch or redact pet retaliations

Post by Klapaucius »

Further to this topic:

The level of spam is off the chain when you're getting attacked by pets, and it hides some fairly pertinent info at times.

Here's my suggested approach to mitigating the amount of lines that appear in the message log:

1) Allow a setting to disable showing the name of pets that are attacking you (I mean, pet names are cute and I name all my pets, but at a certain point I think practicality needs to take priority over funny names)
2) Sort incoming pet attacks that happen in the same second window by: 'master' then 'pet type' then hit status (miss/phased/hit) then 'damage type', then 'damage'. Actually, it would probably be easy enough to just sort them alphabetically for attacks at the same time.

Result:

(6 times) A judgemaster belonging to petperson attacked you, and missed
(2 times) A judgemaster belonging to petperson attacked you, and hit for 6 holy damage
A judgemaster belonging to petperson attacked you, and hit for 8 death damage I guess a WM got to this one

Etc. This will mean up typically up to 2 lines per pet type per master in the log.

The kills/additional info that might pop up (resulting from retaliations from auras, for instance) could be put above the grouped/sorted info.
BobGeneric

Post by BobGeneric »

This is being implemented as follows (due to the way the message system is implemented, "grouping" messages to aggregate damage is not easily done so this is what I can offer):

1. A toggle is being added to "Suppress nonlethal incoming pet attack messages" on a per-character basis.
2. When enabled, all attacks (hit or miss) that do NOT result in a killing blow send the attacker the message "A pet attacked you but you chose to ignore the details of the attack." This will result in all pet attack messages stacking but will obfuscate the details of (a) whose pets are attacking you, (b) how many pets hit/missed, and (c) how much damage you took.
3. The messages are displayed based on the toggle state at the time messages are viewed so you can turn off the toggle and logs will appear normally. They will also appear normally on your "two-week message log" accessible from your character's "character sheet" page.
4. An attack that DOES result in a killing blow will display its message as normal. So you might see something like the below:
Sample Log wrote: (41 times) - A pet attacked you but you chose to ignore the details of the attack. (2022-04-11 20:14:11).
- Feral Hellhound attacked you and hit for 4 points of fire damage. The area around you glistens with flashes of ice! They take 6 points of cold damage! This was enough to kill you! (2022-04-11 20:14:11).
- You feel the effects of Hovering fade. (2022-04-11 20:14:11).
Klapaucius

Post by Klapaucius »

This is a solid solution, and will help a lot. Thanks!

Could I push the envelope and ask for a damage threshold setting too? So that you can choose not to ignore attacks over x damage. So if your goal is reducing pet hits to 1, you can show any hit over 1 and suppress the others.