Gameplay: New Badge Grinds

Suggestions for game development and improvements. One suggestion to a thread, please.
SaltedSalmon

Re: New Badge Grinds

Post by SaltedSalmon »

Merging it into a more generic "Flags Contested" (Capture or Reclaim) stat would be possible, but I think that would generate some infighting over who captures the flag.
Not sure about the others.
cat

Post by cat »

I skimmed responses so apologies if any these have already been mentioned, made this list a while back:

Graffiti left
Newspapers read
Spells cast
Times travelled via portal/other transport
Times tapped ley line
Times flag capped/reclaimed
Unique character IDs interacted with (includes attacking, healing, buffing, giving items, whispering etc)
Times searched or times “found nothing” (this would need to be higher bracket like the damage badges to offset how ease of grinding)
Damage absorbed by buffs/armor (high number)
Damage inflicted by debuffs/poison (high number)
Times forts built (or make number high and have it be amount of forts built instead of times doing fort build action)
Times wards cast (or make number high and have it be ward damage absorbed)
Times self destructed (intentional EM, acid, grenades, death by lava, drowning etc)
Fellis
Site Admin

Re: Gameplay: New Badge Grinds

Post by Fellis »

Renamed thread, please read the naming rules y'all: https://www.nexusclash.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5
Badziew

Post by Badziew »

cat wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:46 pm Unique character IDs interacted with (includes attacking, healing, buffing, giving items, whispering etc)
This would be harder to track than other types of statistics, because it would need to be stored not as a single number but as a list of numbers - giant list of IDs of characters that you have already interacted with. Even if the game stops collecting IDs as soon as you get the badge, this would still be up to 1000 numbers per character, roughly the same or even more than all the other character data combined. That's basically doubling disk space requirements for the server running the game so I am not sure if it is worth tracking.
My characters (sorted by IDs): Badziew, Tiger Fist, Pilgrim, Sentient Spellbook, a trojan cat.

Check my wiki profile for more information, including contact information.
SaltedSalmon

Post by SaltedSalmon »

Posting those here before I forget.

Pets Killed (Or better yet, something that includes Pets Subverted, so it includes Corruptor and Redemeed)
Potions(/Alchemy, so it includes stuff like Chlorophilter) Consumed
Meric

Post by Meric »

Faction ward damage total / wards cracked

Enchantments laid

Potions Brewed
Sunset Shimmer attacked you with a Frozen Gauntlet and hit for 62 points of holy damage. She was hiding! This attack was charged with righteous wrath! Their body strained with holy resolve as they added physical power to this attack! (2021-11-22)
oath2order

Post by oath2order »

Badziew wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:08 pm
cat wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:46 pm Unique character IDs interacted with (includes attacking, healing, buffing, giving items, whispering etc)
This would be harder to track than other types of statistics, because it would need to be stored not as a single number but as a list of numbers - giant list of IDs of characters that you have already interacted with. Even if the game stops collecting IDs as soon as you get the badge, this would still be up to 1000 numbers per character, roughly the same or even more than all the other character data combined. That's basically doubling disk space requirements for the server running the game so I am not sure if it is worth tracking.
There are only 777 non-idle characters atm. My guess is that it would be a lot lower (Maybe 250 / 500).

Your point on data still holds though.
old-school member been here since like September 2014, I finally got my original start date.
Repth

Post by Repth »

Glyphs cast!
Repth

Post by Repth »

oath2order wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:02 am Transcended killed should ABSOLUTELY already have been a thing by now, IMO.

Not sure how I feel about Infusion being a badge. It was a thing in B3, gone in B4. Not sure how I feel about that because it might be gone in B6.
Assuming we work out the kinks and it stays come B6, I would *love* to see an "Infusion" stat that counts both passive and active infusion (as previously mentioned), that would be hella neat.
Kandarin

Post by Kandarin »

I'm towing this to Promoted due to the importance of the topic.

Much has been made in dev discussion recently of how the current Rank and achievement system causes a certain player mindset to see some actions as "encouraged" by the game because they're necessary to get the highest Rank e.g. if you're an Angel who keeps being an Angel breath after breath you're never getting Angels Killed and thus never getting the highest Rank. Personally from the approach I play with I don't see this as any level of problem whatsoever - the highest Rank should not be considered an expectation, as evidenced by the fact that only one person is currently even eligible for it. But we have several philosophies of play that must share one game and this state of affairs is particularly grating to a common one.

The most diplomatic solution that has been floated in dev circles has been to add more stats that are tracked - such as those documented in this thread while keeping the maximum Rank and its thresholds the same. To clarify, The maximum Rank will never be raised past J (and it is possible it will be lowered in future breaths) just because of more stats - but having more than 40 top badges means there are several different philosophies of how to gain Ranks.

Some of the activities discussed in this thread are extremely niche and involve breaking out existing stats into multiple stats e.g. separating Potions Brewed from Items Crafted. There are also a fair amount of good examples of universal activities not covered by a current stat that have been brought up in this thread. The ones I (at least) feel have the most merit are:
* Transcends Killed
* Infusions Performed (active or passive)
* Items Found
* Spells Cast

It's worth mentioning (and hopefully people will understand) that if we added more stats they would only track actions after the stats were added to the board. If you killed three hundred Transcends last breath, the dev team has no way of going back and retroactively documenting that, and you'd be starting from zero the same as anyone else.
Katerina Hasheen - Necromancer Advocate, champion of a better Hashaa
Serena Hasheen - Gun ES, Macro Hunter, Freedom Array booster
Isabel Hasheen - Gunwizard Councillor, infusion's #1 fan
Kandarin - Lightning Elementalist, Crusader, fontnet architect
Erduhr-Khazai - Fire-breathing Dragon DO, Evil Overlord, pillager of planes