NPCs don't lose HP to Defiler Poison

Forum where closed and resolved bug reports live
Violet Ultra

NPCs don't lose HP to Defiler Poison

Post by Violet Ultra »

Other than always being really annoyed that a shadow in the windows nearly always turns out to be an NPC and I can't feed it to my Necrophages and I have to spend AP+MP to start Flying all over again and arrrgh, this has been my general experience with NPCs:
- You step inside Pollen Avenue. (2022-11-25 20:02:26).
There are 3 other people here, Caspian Potter (8) [50/50 hit points] [27/27 magic points] , Ford Armstrong (6) [37/50 hit points] [Ford Armstrong is afflicted with Defiler Poison] [25/25 magic points] , Melvin Harrington (8) [24/50 hit points] [27/27 magic points]
- You give your First Aid Kit to Ford Armstrong. (2022-11-25 20:03:46).
- You attack Ford Armstrong with your Shocking Dart spell and hit for 7 points of electric damage. You started a combination attack! You gain 1 XP. (2022-11-25 20:04:58).
- You attack Ford Armstrong with your Shocking Dart spell and hit for 8 points of electric damage. You dealt 1 more damage from a combination attack! You gain 1 XP. (2022-11-25 20:05:08).
- You attack Ford Armstrong with your Shocking Dart spell and hit for 7 points of electric damage. You started a combination attack! You gain 1 XP. (2022-11-25 20:05:12).
- You attack Ford Armstrong with your Shocking Dart spell and hit for 7 points of electric damage. You dealt 1 more damage from a combination attack! You gain 1 XP. (2022-11-25 20:05:21).
- You step outside of Pollen Avenue. (2022-11-25 20:06:04).
- You attack Ford Armstrong with your Shocking Dart spell and hit for 6 points of electric damage. You started a combination attack! You gain 1 XP. (2022-11-25 20:06:48).
I saw one that finally piqued my curiosity; an NPC suffering from Defiler Poison! So I gave him a means to cure himself to see if he'd use it. Not surprisingly, nothing happened. So then I started getting zappy with him in hopes he'd at least use it by reflex due to being low on HP. But nothing happened.
By the time he ran outside, he had 8 HP; I checked his meter before he left. Then when I went outside to see if he had at least triggered a tick of Defiler Poison like a normal flesh-and-blood mortal would in trying to escape. I checked his HP meter and found that ...he had 8 HP.

Now over an hour later, he's still just standing there, still at the 2 HP that I left him with after my final attack. And still poisoned.

The NPC in question, if you're curious: clash.php?op=character&id=14320

I don't know if Nexus Clash is really the kind of game that needs NPCs. There are plenty of other ways to gain XP, if that's the issue. And if it's for the sake of immersion, it's... counterproductive, to say the least.
Kandarin

Re: NPCs don't lose HP to Defiler Poison

Post by Kandarin »

Defiler Poison is triggered by AP-using actions, and NPC action logic is independent of AP-using functions. That's why they don't appear in faction rosters - technically they're all "idle" characters who don't take the kinds of actions that count toward remaining "active".

There aren't plans to remove NPCs, but we'd be open to alternative proposals if people have them. It took a while for a critical mass of them to reach Tier 2, but there's a three-digit number of Tier 2 NPCs floating around now and that does make a difference in terms of the viability of Tier 2 combat leveling.
Katerina Hasheen - Necromancer Advocate, champion of a better Hashaa
Serena Hasheen - Gun ES, Macro Hunter, Freedom Array booster
Isabel Hasheen - Gunwizard Councillor, infusion's #1 fan
Kandarin - Lightning Elementalist, Crusader, fontnet architect
Erduhr-Khazai - Fire-breathing Dragon DO, Evil Overlord, pillager of planes