Deduction-less Failure causes Explosive Failure result

Report bugs about the game itself here.
shinichizio

Deduction-less Failure causes Explosive Failure result

Post by shinichizio »

Per the subject. I was on a font doing some alchemy research. I knew moss was needed for Fire Affinity and tried a second moss. It was needed! I decided to be thorough and check for a third moss. It was not only unneeded but it blew up in my face, seemingly contrary to the established rules of alchemy. I was confused enough that I decided to grab a screenshot. Haven't had any luck reproducing it, however.

Seen on character Shien: clash.php?op=character&id=7073

Screencap hosted here: https://i.imgur.com/HUE57yQ.png
Goliath

Re: Deduction-less Failure causes Explosive Failure result

Post by Goliath »

Noting for future investigation
Unless the wiki is wrong about this, those are the cases that should apply here
Complete Success: If the component being researched is required by the recipe for the Alchemical item selected, the experiment is considered a success. The character gains the knowledge of that portion of the Alchemical recipe. The component used in the research is consumed and removed from the character's inventory.
Deduction-less Failure: If a character researches an Alchemical item whose recipe does require a given component, but the character already knows all of the instances in the recipe of that component (for example, a character who requires 2 Chunks of Onyx for a Potion of Magic Recovery researches the use of Onyx in Magic Recovery a third time), the experiment results with the character gaining no new insight. The component is not consumed and the experiment is not considered a failure (so the character does not take any damage). The character still spends Action Points and Magic Points as usual, though.
A Parrot with a Blade - Melee/Touchcaster Holy Champion || GrayScimitar - Heavy Sword Tlac IB || RustyWire - Gunwiz