Touch spell doesn't receive aura damage bonus unless aura cast last

Forum where closed and resolved bug reports live
Klapaucius

Touch spell doesn't receive aura damage bonus unless aura cast last

Post by Klapaucius »

Spell aura should give +6 damage to touch spells of the correct element against wards. I had some inconsistent results, and I thought it just wasn't working, but I've had a closer look at my logs and it's even more exciting:

- You feel the ground beneath you pulse slightly. The rocks at your feet rattle and dust swirls about you, reminding you that the magic is waiting to be discharged. (2022-03-24 09:31:00).
- a cute angle was flying and has now landed. (2022-03-24 09:31:02).
- You feel the ground beneath you pulse slightly. The rocks at your feet rattle and dust swirls about you, reminding you that the magic is waiting to be discharged. (2022-03-24 09:31:02).
- (3 times) You attack the ward with your Mage Gauntlets, dealing 23 points of impact damage. The impact is absorbed with a resounding thud and the ward seems to ripple a bit. Thunderous waves of forceful energy reinforced this attack! (2022-03-24 09:31:12).
- You feel the mantle of ancient crusaders rest upon you, giving you might in battle. While you have the Crusader Blessing, all of your attacks will deal 2 extra damage and you will have a +20% chance to hit with your attacks. (2022-03-24 09:31:12).
- a cute angle laid hands on you and bestowed you a greater blessing of offense. They also pronounced a Sanctuary Blessing upon you. (2022-03-24 09:31:12).
- (2 times) You attack the ward with your Mage Gauntlets, dealing 19 points of impact damage. The impact is absorbed with a resounding thud and the ward seems to ripple a bit. (2022-03-24 09:31:16).
- You feel the mantle of ancient crusaders rest upon you, giving you might in battle. While you have the Crusader Blessing, all of your attacks will deal 2 extra damage and you will have a +20% chance to hit with your attacks. (2022-03-24 09:31:17).
- a cute angle laid hands on you and bestowed you a greater blessing of offense. They also pronounced a Sanctuary Blessing upon you. (2022-03-24 09:31:17).

My base touch damage should be 17 without buffs (8 +5 affinity +4 earth skills)

So - I buffed myself with 40 ticks of stonefury. It correctly buffed my first 3 mage gauntlets attacks to 23. Then, once I received an offensive prayer+defensive blessing, it stopped working, and I was doing 19 damage (base + 2 from prayer).

Maybe it just removed stonefury? I thought I was watching it tick down. Maybe it stopped it from working? I just don't know.
Last edited by Klapaucius on Mon May 09, 2022 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Klapaucius

Re: Touch spell + spell aura + prayer? vs ward

Post by Klapaucius »

I've further investigated this bug.

The issue occurs when your final buff is anything other than the aura spell.

So, as a HC example: You can use cloak of vengeance, then frost aura, and hit a ward and get the effect of both. But if you do it in the other order, the aura stops buffing your attacks.

All the buffs I tested did this: affinity potion, clash of vengeance, cloak of mountain, advocate buffs

This doesn't happen against characters or pets.
Klapaucius

Re: Touch spell doesn't receive aura damage bonus unless aura cast last

Post by Klapaucius »

I also have this issue against pets and fortifications, in addition to wards. Unless the aura is the final buff, the bonus is not applied.
lunalu

Post by lunalu »

I have experienced this! but didn't know it was an actual bug.
If I use Aura + touch spell, I do 24 damage. If I add an aff pot into the mix, I do less, can't remember the numbers.
(Kandarin might remember that time they gave Lune a death aff for a recap? Lune thought it was a trap and still has it in her inventory! :lol: )
Klapaucius

Post by Klapaucius »

I think there is an additional bug when it comes to affinity pots. My experience is that affinity pots *never* stack with aura, no matter the order. Might have something to do with the fact that they are both bonus damage that only applied to a specific element?
plscks

Post by plscks »

Klapaucius wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:18 am Spell aura should give +6 damage to touch spells of the correct element against wards. I had some inconsistent results, and I thought it just wasn't working, but I've had a closer look at my logs and it's even more exciting:

- You feel the ground beneath you pulse slightly. The rocks at your feet rattle and dust swirls about you, reminding you that the magic is waiting to be discharged. (2022-03-24 09:31:00).
- a cute angle was flying and has now landed. (2022-03-24 09:31:02).
- You feel the ground beneath you pulse slightly. The rocks at your feet rattle and dust swirls about you, reminding you that the magic is waiting to be discharged. (2022-03-24 09:31:02).
- (3 times) You attack the ward with your Mage Gauntlets, dealing 23 points of impact damage. The impact is absorbed with a resounding thud and the ward seems to ripple a bit. Thunderous waves of forceful energy reinforced this attack! (2022-03-24 09:31:12).
- You feel the mantle of ancient crusaders rest upon you, giving you might in battle. While you have the Crusader Blessing, all of your attacks will deal 2 extra damage and you will have a +20% chance to hit with your attacks. (2022-03-24 09:31:12).
- a cute angle laid hands on you and bestowed you a greater blessing of offense. They also pronounced a Sanctuary Blessing upon you. (2022-03-24 09:31:12).
- (2 times) You attack the ward with your Mage Gauntlets, dealing 19 points of impact damage. The impact is absorbed with a resounding thud and the ward seems to ripple a bit. (2022-03-24 09:31:16).
- You feel the mantle of ancient crusaders rest upon you, giving you might in battle. While you have the Crusader Blessing, all of your attacks will deal 2 extra damage and you will have a +20% chance to hit with your attacks. (2022-03-24 09:31:17).
- a cute angle laid hands on you and bestowed you a greater blessing of offense. They also pronounced a Sanctuary Blessing upon you. (2022-03-24 09:31:17).

My base touch damage should be 17 without buffs (8 +5 affinity +4 earth skills)

So - I buffed myself with 40 ticks of stonefury. It correctly buffed my first 3 mage gauntlets attacks to 23. Then, once I received an offensive prayer+defensive blessing, it stopped working, and I was doing 19 damage (base + 2 from prayer).

Maybe it just removed stonefury? I thought I was watching it tick down. Maybe it stopped it from working? I just don't know.
Thanks for the report, I have this corrected for wards, I still need to test if it is corrected for forts. I did not encounter this for pets though. As a note, affinity potions shouldn't alter damage of auras, they should only extend the duration of auras cast while under the effects of the affinity. I'm going to leave this open until I can finish up testing versus forts.
"Hey, don't talk about bacon." - Frank Lapidus
Klapaucius

Post by Klapaucius »

plscks wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:31 pm Thanks for the report, I have this corrected for wards, I still need to test if it is corrected for forts. I did not encounter this for pets though. As a note, affinity potions shouldn't alter damage of auras, they should only extend the duration of auras cast while under the effects of the affinity. I'm going to leave this open until I can finish up testing versus forts.
THANK YOU!!!

The secondary issue with affinity pots is that the aura bonus to touch and affinity doesn't stack.

So if you have both aura and affinity, you get either +6 or +3 damage depending which you used first. Using affinity can actually reduce your damage, observed vs pets and wards, haven't managed to test vs characters though.
plscks

Post by plscks »

Klapaucius wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:16 pm THANK YOU!!!

The secondary issue with affinity pots is that the aura bonus to touch and affinity doesn't stack.

So if you have both aura and affinity, you get either +6 or +3 damage depending which you used first. Using affinity can actually reduce your damage, observed vs pets and wards, haven't managed to test vs characters though.
Okay, I had time to test this all more and it looks like it has been corrected in all cases. I understand what you mean with affinity potions/aura/touch interactions, and in testing versus wards, pets, forts, cades and characters with the fix in place damages were as follows: base touch hit 9 damage, with affinity potion of same element 12 damage, with aura of same element 15 damage, with affinity and aura of same elements 18 damage. It no longer matters what order these status effects were gained.

I did notice though that a touch spell with an aura of a different element will not apply the +6 damage to characters and pets, but will in fact apply that +6 to forts, wards, and barricades. I'm going to close this bug report, but I will open a new internal issue for the mismatched elements giving the matched element bonus (and hopefully fix it tomorrow or the next day)
"Hey, don't talk about bacon." - Frank Lapidus